CoinPeople.com

Obelisque de Louqsor

This item doesn't scan well, which is unfortunate because it is a very nice three dimensional chunk of copper, roughly 26mm diameter and 3mm thick.

It is a small medal by Montagny struck in 1836 to commemorate the erection of the Luxor obelisk on la place de la Concorde, 25th October 1836. Usually these are obtainable for about $10.

The (+/-)3,500 year old obelisk was originally sited at the Temple of Thebes, Luxor and was presented to Charles X of France in 1831 by Muhammad Ali, Vice-roi and Pacha of Egypt.

The interesting thing about this particular piece for me is that the only ones i've seen are all dated 1836 for the erection (date for same is positioned bottom rhs (reverse). For some reason this one is dated 1831, which is a rather obvious error.

It only arrived with me on saturday and today was the first opportunity to look closely at it. I don't know whether the `error' is common or otherwise......I hope not but luck being what it is i'm not going to hold my breath.... :ninja:

I'm not sure what made me buy it in the first place. Probably because i've been to Luxor and seen both Luxor and Karnak temples and the few obelisks that still remain there. OK, so i'm a sucker for egyptology as well as numerous other things.......

911290.jpg

Ian

An interesting medal and made of copper! That's a terrific combo. Let us know about the error date situation as you learn more. I'm curious as to why they'd have the medal with that date.

........ I'm curious as to why they'd have the medal with that date.

All I can think of is that whoever set up the detail for that particular die got it wrong. As I mentioned, all the others i've seen of that specific medal ARE dated 1836. Question is...how many errors were struck before someone (if anyone) noticed. :ninja:

Archived