CoinPeople.com

What is this Coin?

Trader

Recently I almost spent this 5 cent piece as a penny. I noticed it was a bit larger than 1 cent and discovered it was 5 cents. I took it home & tried to pick it up with a magnet but couldn't pick it up. I believe this 1998 Canadian 5 cent is copper. Can anyone tell me about it. I have never saw one like this before. I know that in the 1940's some 5 cent pieces were tombac, but this is a 1998. I would appreciate any information you can give me about this.

th_IMG_0762_edited.jpg

The 1998 nickel was 75% copper, Correct?

Correct. Canadian 5c from 1982 onwards are copper-nickel.

Looks like its discolored from Maybe being in the ground. Or maybe an acid treatment?

I like that theory.

No I don't believe that is correct because a magnet will pick up a regular 1998 nickel, but not this one.

A manget shouldn't be picking up any 1998 nickel, only those from 1981 and earlier, and those 1999 and later that have a "P" under her majesty's head.

Regular 5 cent pieces of 1998 are copper- nickel- 75%copper, 25% nickel. Copper -nickel coins are not magnetic, but the earlier pure nickel pieces are magnetic. The later plated pieces are also magnetic.

This piece appears discoloured, as if it had been buried or had been chemically treated. Some copper-nickel coins can discolour or tone a copperish colour, but they don't look like this one.

Archived