CoinPeople.com

My 1967 Specimen Set

Burks

Don't know much about it other than it sure isn't worth much :ninja: Like I care! Just wait till you see the last one :lol:

Up first is the lovely cent. Too bad about the black spot (carbon?)

910551.jpg

Next we have the nickel. Not much going on here.

910552.jpg

The dime is where the party starts.

910553.jpg

The quarter brings a little excitement to the party (think guy with lampshade on).

910554.jpg

Ms. Half dollar is in the room! She brought the food.

910555.jpg

Edit: Title edited, thanks for the correction.

Nice looking set; It is in the current trends issue (Canadian coin news) listed at $18.00 Canadian, but melt as of today on the dollar alone is $8 Canadian, so I imagine it may be worth a bit more. I have 6 complete sets at present.

Duh. Forgot about the silver content :ninja:

Too bad I can't find more in the red case though. I've seen MAYBE two but wasn't interested in them at that time or they are badly scratched.

If I am not mistaken, the RCM did not mint coins in "proof" quality until the 1970's or 80's.  I believe your set is referred to as a "specimen" set instead.  But definitely some nice looking "specimens."

The RCM confuses me at times. With all these proof-like, specimen, mint, blah blah blah. The US Mint is getting that way with satin finishes.

I do think you are correct about the "proof" quality coins. The dollar certainly has a cameo effect to it.

I'm not aware of actual proofs released for 1967. Aside from circulation coins, RCM sets sealed in a pliofilm pouch are proof-like and those found in the RCM case are specimen. Two different case sets were issued: a black case containing a $20 gold coin, and a red case containing a sterling silver medallion.

The felt surfaces in the cases are notorious for imparting an ugly tone on the silver coins. I've gone thru many sets and most of the time find the silver coins heavily toned on one side, and sometimes on both sides.

Burks, if your coins are indeed specimen, then you're lucky to have nice un-heavily toned specimens.

The felt surfaces in the cases are notorious for imparting an ugly tone on the silver coins. I've gone thru many sets and most of the time find the silver coins heavily toned on one side, and sometimes on both sides.

Burks, if your coins are indeed specimen, then you're lucky to have nice un-heavily toned specimens.

They certainly are specimens. All the coins except the nickel and cent are heavily toned on both sides. But it is attractive toning, not the ugly brown I've seen on so many. Lots of gold/red on the dollar and half, blues/purples/orange on the quarter and dime. Kind of odd how the first two toned similar and the next two toned similar to each other but totally different than the first two.

I did take the cent out and placed a US silver dime in its place. I want to see how long it takes to tone (starting to get haze on the reverse).

Yeah, there was a set (1972, I think) at the coin shop I visited yesterday where the dollar looked not toned but rotted. You'd think if they were going to make sets for collectors, they might've given some thought to the packaging...

Archived