CoinPeople.com

any thoughts as to the grade?

Doogy

I wouldn't pay more than melt for this coin as I find it suspect. First, the rims look funny. Second, for such a high grade coin, why is there such weakness (mushiness) in the dentils, especially on the reverse? There appears to be some marks on it, however without close-up examination there could be a lot of telltale tool marks near the rim and within the lettering. Even a common date like 1900, in a condition that should easily be MS-63 should be certified. If it's not, there is usually a reason. Call me a cynic, but I would avoid this one. Keep in mind, the standard disclaimer that it's impossible to grade and authenticate a coin accurately from a photo.

OK, this is just the photo based opinion of someone who has inflicted bezels on many coins and who has removed quite a few coins from bezels as well. This one looks to have been mounted in a die struck bezel. The smoothness on the reverse rim could have been caused by the use of a burnisher to roll the edge of the bezel over to make it smoother for contact with skin and clothing.

I could also be 100% wrong.

Archived