CoinPeople.com

How big was the influence of Thomas de La Rue?

gxseries

As a British company (or am I horribly wrong?) Thomas de La Rue seemed to have printed an enormous list of banknotes for many countries. Some of them that I have are from the former British colonies as well as some other countries, such as Australia, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Singapore, as well as Indonesia.

Does anyone have a list of notes issued by this company?

Yes indeed, the British printer Thomas De La Rue is a very famous printer. Most of the commonwealth countries uses TDLR for their currency printing. A good example is the early Straits Settlements banknotes used in Singapore, Malaysia, Brunei, Sarawak, Sabah ( East Malaysia ). Although there are the other British printers such as Waterloo and Sons, Brandury and Wilkinson ( sorry cannot remember the exact name of the co. ) who also printed them in small numbers for certain notes. TDLR is by far the most famous printer in the world printing many currencies from various countries. Singapore have since taken over the printing of their own paper currencies except for the polymer ones which are printed in Australia.

I love the heavy engraving done by TDLR. You can click on "My SS Collection" at my signature below to have a feel of these SS notes which most of them are priinted by TDLR in the early days of the Straits Settlements. The 1925 to 1930 series of Straits Settlements are my favourites. They are relatively rare and scarce in nice original condition.

There is a book called "The Brotherhood of Money" [iIRC] written by Murray Teigh Bloom which has an excellent history of the people behind all the great currency printers.

I believe it was a BNR Press publication. BNR Press is located in Port Clinton, Ohio, being the alter ego of Fred Schwan. If he didn't print it, I believe he sells it. You might also check out Google or Amazon.

It is a great read with stories about Giori, de la Rue, Waterlow and Sons, ABNCo and so on. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to know how paper became money and the folks behind that great change.

[Any puns in the above are intended, even if not so at the time I wrote them...]

As a British company (or am I horribly wrong?) Thomas de La Rue seemed to have printed an enormous list of banknotes for many countries. Some of them that I have are from the former British colonies as well as some other countries, such as Australia, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Singapore, as well as Indonesia.

Does anyone have a list of notes issued by this company?

I have no list but from the few notes in my collection I can add the following:

Bahamas

Bolivia

Guatemala

Paraguay

Peru

Archived