CoinPeople.com

Palace of Versailles

One of the more recent additions to my jeton collection. This one is something of a puzzle to me. It bears the date of 1756, which is during the reign of Louis XV, but yet bears the mature bust of Louis XVI which is usual to jetons of the 1770's.

There is a 1756 jeton with Louis XV bust, which was issued to commemorate the completion of work carried out on the colonnades / frontage of the palace of Versailles in that year.

Perhaps it was issued again to commemorate further work conducted under Louis XVI . If so, it is understandable that the earlier reverse dies were simply reused. However I would have thought they would have obliterated the date (as has been done with similar reusing of the same dies at a later date).

Batiments1756obv.jpg

Batiments1756rev.jpg

Interesting piece. I'd love to see more.

Jetons are my key collecting area these days. I've got (quite literally) hundreds of them now. The history behind some of them is very interesting and absorbing.

For example, have a look at this post I made back in august last year:

http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?act=ST...st=0#entry45307

I don't know if there is an easier way to reference posts (?) If there is, i'd love to know ...anyone?

Thanks. I've read back into the archives, but I haven't read them all. Its a great collecting topic and it looks like you are building a great collection. Thank you for sharing.

Jetons are my key collecting area these days. I've got (quite literally) hundreds of them now. The history behind some of them is very interesting and absorbing.

For example, have a look at this post I made back in august last year:

http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?act=ST...st=0#entry45307

Thank you for this most interesting post and link. It makes a most refreshing change from what is typically found on so many other coin sites on the net. :ninja:

The jetons you've shown are beautiful and historical artifacts and your writing brings them to life. :lol:

Archived