CoinPeople.com

Found this in my pocket change last week

bobh

Nice to find something like this once in a while in your pocket change. It's not anything special, just the last year of silver coins of this series. I don't even collect Swiss coins, but this one is unusually well-kept -- perhaps someone spending a collection they inherited from their granddad?

gallery_869_124_54687.jpg

:ninja:

Neat find indeed. These silver coins do (legally) not circulate any more, but I suppose people do no care much about that regulation since they can still be redeemed. :lol:

Christian

Thanks, Christian. Unfortunately, they cannot be redeemed at your local bank; only the Swiss National Bank will redeem silver coins. Probably too much trouble for the owner, which is why it ended up in circulation. But according to my catalog, it is worth between 5 and 10 Swiss Francs. It's actually uncirculated (even in spite of being "circulated" :cry: ), but it has some rim nicks and what looks like PVC spotting -- although that could be dust in the photo. If it had been in a holder for several years, I can see how it might pick up the PVC crud.

Time to get out my acetone, I guess! But the coin's value unfortunately isn't enough to justify wasting my acetone on it. :ninja:

Archived