CoinPeople.com

Non-Decimal Monetary Systems

Daniel

I read a statement that claimed there were only two countries in the world with a non-decimal monetary system (Madagascar and Mauritania who each have a system based on units of 5).

I am trying to verify this. I don't know of any others, but it is a big wide world out there.

Does anybody know of any other countries with a non-decimal (base-10) system? (Note this question applies to systems currently in use.)

Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure, but I thought that Mauritania was on a decimal system, or variation.

Canada and the U.S. (along with US-based currency countries) are the two main countries I can think of that are on a quasi-decimal system, to use an example of a variation (25c instead of 20c)

I am not too sure why would any country use such non-decimal system. Even small island countries, needing the tourist money has to adapt to the decimal system or else things wouldn't work out!

As well as, a non-decimal monetary system is just mathematically ugly.

There is beauty in maths... not necessarily for me because i'm useless at it. But there's something really quaint and oldy-worldy about doing things in non-decimal numbers. Decimal systems are so samey and well to me akin to a room in a house painted all white, clean and functional maybe but it lacks any quirkiness, it's sterile and boring.

But that's just me and i'm old fashioned. I always fancied a system doing things in 13s.

I'm not sure, but I thought that Mauritania was on a decimal system, or variation.

In Mauritania, it is 5 Khoums to the Ougulya.

Canada and the U.S. (along with US-based currency countries) are the two main countries I can think of that are on a quasi-decimal system, to use an example of a variation (25c instead of 20c)

It is still fully decimal, because there remain 100 cents per dollar. If there was a 13¢ coin, it would be equal to 0.13 dollars. But if there were 13 minor units in one major unit, things would get very interesting!

With a base-10 decimal system, you can always slide the decimal point around to calculate. But with a base-5 system (or base-13!) that isn't so.

...a non-decimal monetary system is just mathematically ugly.

Don't tell that to a computer scientist, who works in a base-16 system!

But that's just me and i'm old fashioned. I always fancied a system doing things in 13s.

Jersey had 13 pence to their shilling until ca. 1871. The Penny was 1/13th of a shilling, the halfpenny 1/26th of a shilling, the farthing 1/52nd of a shilling.

Scottish Merks were 13/4, or thirteen shillings, fourpence.

Jersey had 13 pence to their shilling until ca. 1871.  The Penny was 1/13th of a shilling, the halfpenny 1/26th of a shilling, the farthing 1/52nd of a shilling.

Scottish Merks were 13/4, or thirteen shillings, fourpence.

I'd forgotten about Jersey there! I remember reading about that on Harold Fear's site some time back.

I suppose a Merk is about as close as it gets to a base system of 13 1/2.

In Mauritania, it is 5 Khoums to the Ougulya.

Gotcha! (One of the few times I had to actually look in the book!)

Is is interesting that no other coins (ie. 1/10, 1/2) were issued, so that definately is an oddity...

Archived