CoinPeople.com

Orlando Coin show report

Dan769

Awhile back I posted that I had a choice of the West Palm Beach or Orlando coin shows. Well being today was the last day for WPB, and heard some negative reports on the PCGS boards, I opted for Orlando..

One of the first to arrive this morning, I found some dealers still setting up at 9:45. Show start time was 10:00. I quickly looked to fill/upgrade the type set but was immediatley distracted by a world coin dealer who had an impressive display of world coins. Although nothing from the Azores & Cape Verde Islands, both Portuguese controlled at one time, he had a decent selection of Portuguese coins.

I managed a 1966 20 Escudo in BU, a 1919 4 centavo in BU and a 1917 centavo in AU for the whopping sum of 7 dollars. I love the darkside :ninja: Even though this makes triplicates of all 3, I couldn't pass them up for that price.

He had a ton of Balboas 1/4, 1/2 & 1, from Panama in all grades, dates and with color. I wish I would have bought some, the toned ones were stunning. But I wanted to save funds for the type set.

one of my main goals was a 1853 rays & arrows half dollar and an upgrade to the SLQ type II.

The usual suspect were present, Morgans in every grade and date, plenty of type gold and tons of decnt Lincoln cents. I saw one type II SLQ in EF which had the "look" I wanted, a 1927 for $40. This coin was a beauty, EF+ dripping with luster. Why I didn't buy it, I cant explain. I'm trying to do this type set with slightly better dates and the 1927 is very common. I am kicking myself as I type this for not buying it, I may have a chance next Sunday at the Melbourne show, the seller said they are attending.

Rummaging thru mint sets from the 60's & 70's showed that they picked over long ago and the dregs still for sale.

My favorite dealers , and elderly couple( who had that SLQ) also had a pleasant selection of type coins, which I scored a 1853 arrows half dime with nice rim toning, in VF and a VG 1859 Indian Head cent.

Coins in the VF+ thru EF+ grades in most denominations are difficult to find.

Liberty nickels for example , were G-VG or AU-MS with very few in between. A very nice 1912-S in VG was calling my name, but at $225 it would have taken my whole bankroll.

I did find an upgrade for my 1909 VDB in EFish for $5, and after looking at every 1853 half dollar at the show, the very last one I saw which was slabbed, and I had been looking at just raw was a keeper. Graded VF20 by ANACS it was at the bottom of a pile of arrow & rays halves which I almost didn't look at. The top coin was a MS example with a $1800 price tag, I figured he wouldn't have anything in my price range, but lo and behold the last one was mine!!! In VF with a nice original contrasting grey coloring it was priced $93, he said A&R halves are one of his favorites, esp the reverse, and he knew I loved it, so he gave it to me for $85.

I believe he really likes A&R halves, counting the 1853 & 1853-O, he had a dozen of them, 9 out of 10 dealers didn't have one.

Pics are in the new purchases section.

Dan

He had a ton of Balboas 1/4, 1/2 & 1, from Panama in all grades, dates and with color. I wish I would have bought some, the toned ones were stunning.

I have a proof Balboa, can't remember exact date and denom. Beautiful coins especially in proof condition.

Awhile back I posted that I had a choice of the West Palm Beach or Orlando coin shows. Well being today was the last day for WPB, and heard some negative reports on the PCGS boards, I opted for Orlando..

One of the first to arrive this morning, I found some dealers still setting up at 9:45. Show start time was 10:00. I quickly looked to fill/upgrade the type set but was immediatley distracted by a world coin dealer who had an impressive display of world coins. Although nothing from the Azores & Cape Verde Islands, both Portuguese controlled at one time, he had a decent selection of Portuguese coins.

I managed a 1966 20 Escudo in BU, a 1919 4 centavo in BU and a 1917 centavo in AU for the whopping sum of 7 dollars. I love the darkside :ninja: Even though this makes triplicates of all 3, I couldn't pass them up for that price.

He had a ton of Balboas 1/4, 1/2 & 1, from Panama in all grades, dates and with color. I wish I would have bought some, the toned ones were stunning. But I wanted to save funds for the type set.

one of my main goals was a 1853 rays & arrows half dollar and an upgrade to the SLQ type II.

The usual suspect were present, Morgans in every grade and date, plenty of type gold and tons of decnt Lincoln cents.  I saw one type II SLQ in EF which had the "look" I wanted, a 1927 for $40. This coin was a beauty, EF+ dripping with luster. Why I didn't buy it, I cant explain. I'm trying to do this type set with slightly better dates and the 1927 is very common. I am kicking myself as I type this for not buying it, I may have a chance next Sunday at the Melbourne show, the seller said they are attending.

Rummaging thru mint sets from the 60's & 70's showed that they picked over long ago and the dregs still for sale.

My favorite dealers , and elderly couple( who had that SLQ) also had a pleasant selection of type coins, which I scored a 1853 arrows half dime with nice rim toning, in VF and a VG 1859 Indian Head cent.

Coins in the VF+ thru EF+ grades in most denominations are difficult to find.

Liberty nickels for example , were G-VG or AU-MS with very few in between. A very nice 1912-S in VG was calling my name, but at $225 it would have taken my whole bankroll.

I did find an upgrade for my 1909 VDB in EFish for $5, and after looking at every 1853 half dollar at the show, the very last one I saw which was slabbed, and I had been looking at just raw was a keeper. Graded VF20 by ANACS it was at the bottom of a pile of arrow & rays halves which I almost didn't look at. The top coin was a MS example with a $1800 price tag, I figured he wouldn't have anything in my price range, but lo and behold the last one was mine!!! In VF with a nice original contrasting grey coloring it was priced $93, he said A&R halves are one of his favorites, esp the reverse, and he knew I loved it, so he gave it to me for $85.

I believe he  really likes A&R halves, counting the 1853 & 1853-O, he had a dozen of them, 9 out of 10 dealers didn't have one.

Pics are in the new purchases section.

Dan

Interesting report. There are several coins there that I can relate to. The Cape Verde and cu/ ni Portugese are of particular interest to me.

Do you find many mint sets in that part of the country that are picked over? Around here this was unusual except in store stock until fairly recently.

Interesting report.  There are several coins there that I can relate to.  The Cape Verde and cu/ ni Portugese are of particular interest to me. 

Do you find many mint sets in that part of the country that are picked over?  Around here this was unusual except in store stock until fairly recently.

I almost always find the mint sets to by poor quality. I did my Ike Dansco with coins from mints sets, and was pressed to find decnts one. I'm still not happy with a couple of them. In fact the 73 Mint set with a very nice Kennedy P Half, has one of the biggest fingerprints I've ever seen on the D half.

Great report. It sounds like you have a really good show. I have to agree that looking for quality Mint and Proof sets it quite a challenge. A lot of the stuff out there has been picked over and over.

I've been told that the best approach is to work a deal with a friendly dealer. When he makes a collection buy you get first shot at the sets but agree to an extra premium for the privilege.

Interesting report.  There are several coins there that I can relate to.  The Cape Verde and cu/ ni Portugese are of particular interest to me. 

Do you find many mint sets in that part of the country that are picked over?  Around here this was unusual except in store stock until fairly recently.

All the local shows I attend I look at the mint sets from the 60's & 70's, and all have at least one coin with issues, usually serious, and it's never the cent :ninja:

All the local shows I attend I look at the mint sets from the 60's & 70's, and all have at least one coin with issues, usually serious, and it's never the cent :ninja:

Well the cent being good can be good news for my new collection. The nickel, too. :lol:

Archived