CoinPeople.com

The Berlin Krügerrand

tabbs

Where do you think are the South African Krugerrand coins made? Right, in South Africa. But this year some of them were minted in Germany.

The South African Mint was one of the many mints that participated in this year's World Money Fair in Berlin, and it issued a special Krügerrand version on that occasion. After all, the Kruger portrait still in use today was designed in 1892 by Otto Schultz from Berlin. Thus a special edition was minted in Berlin this year, which has the mint's logo (a crowned bear) and the "OS" initials.

Here is an article about the coin: http://www.muenzenmagazin.de/startseite0602/Kruegerrand.htm The text is in German, but it also has some pictures of the piece.

Christian

That's neat. I'm sure it's a must have for Kruggerand collectors or World Gold Type collectors.

Interesting if a bit spendy.

Quite a bit, yes. I hope that no collector actually considers this a must have as, from what I can tell, those "Berlin Krügerrand" coins can only be had in these special sets, along with the 1/10, 1/4 und 1/2 oz pieces and that replica of the 5 shillings coin. But the idea sure is appealing.

Christian

It's definitely a cool set. With a mintage of 700 they probably have supplied the demand of South African bullion collectors as well :ninja:

Though it's no different than their prestige sets except that in ths case you get a cooler box and the nifty replica.

Archived