CoinPeople.com

How to store your precious coins?.

jeniffer007

Truthfully, some of it depends upon whether you are talking about circulated coins or MS or if you mind your coins toning or whether you want them inhibit that as much as possible, etc.

The basics that probably apply to everything is to keep them in a stable, climate controlled environment with little moisture and no exposure to stuff that will outgas any chemicals and use soething that will protect against physical damage.

There are a lot of storage methods that will do that including plastic holders, tupperware containers, slabs, etc. Silica is good but get the kind that is rechargeable (typically through baking it in your oven and don't let it get saturated otherwise it can release moisture with temperature changes.

Personally, I use cardboard 2x2's and Dansco albums for most of my storage as I have mostly circulated coins whose surfaces are not as delicate and don't mind the limited toning that might happen much.

2x2's for cheaper coins. 100 for $2.50 is a great investment

Whitman for collections (the cheap folders). Something like $4-$5 each. Haven't bought any for a long time.

Dansco for high value coins. Offer great protection and easy access. Unlike the cheap ones you have to really force coins in, these just drop in (for the most part) and drop out. These can range from $25-$40. I have the U.S. Type Set (very fun!) and the 2 Morgan albums.

Silica gel is nice if you are storing them in a high moisture area like a safe.

Albums for my IHCs and Type sets. Folders for common US sets like Jeffersons and Lincolns. 2x2s for World and US that don't fit into the albums/folders. Baggies for wheaties and such.

Cardboard-mylar 2X2's stored in long boxes are the most popular and least expensive solution for several (100+) coins. If you want to look at them frequently the dansco albums mentioned above are nice.

If you have the money and want the more durable, plastic snap-lock holders (~70 cents each) those are good too. The best silica gel cannisters are those small capsules you can find in asprin pill bottles.

Archived