CoinPeople.com

1976 D Bicentennial Quarter

Dads Stuff

I keep all of it I get my hands on, the quarters though are the easiest to come by.

Same here. Dad keeps all the ones he finds and lets me have them. Probably have around 100 or so, 50 or so Kennedy's, and lousy Ike.

Last month I missed my chance for a Bicent mint set for $3, forgot to go back and get it :ninja:

Same here. Dad keeps all the ones he finds and lets me have them. Probably have around 100 or so, 50 or so Kennedy's, and lousy Ike.

Last month I missed my chance for a Bicent mint set for $3, forgot to go back and get it  :ninja:

The finest quarters and dollars are in the '76 mint sets though only the type II

dollars are found in this set. The best halfs and type I dollars are in the '75.

Truly gem quarters are not so common as most believe. MS-65's aren't espec-

ially tough but the higher grades are as tough as most other quarters from this

era. There are very few gems in the many rolls and singles that were set aside

and many of these have been returned to circulation over the years.

You are correct. Finding a Bicent set that isn't dull or nasty looking is very hard. The set I meant to buy had a great looking quarter, the half and dollar were "average". Be lucky to even hit a low 60-61. That's why those 3 holes in my type set are empty. Very picky about my modern coinage that enters that book.

i wish i could have 100,000 pc. of that bi-centennial quarter. but i am a late comer. now i did purchased 10,000 pc. of westward nickels instead. not for profit, i just like it. period. but for statehood quarters. i don't like them. and i don't have any except some circulated one. other denomination that i like were kennedy half and ike dollar. of course american eagle silver dollar is my top choice followed by modern commems dollar.

What's a cud?

It's a fanciful name for a strike from a broken die. The edge of the die is simply

missing so there's nothing to impart a force counteracting the other die. This will

leave a small raised area which might remind you of a bite taken from it. The op-

posite side will have a very weak or non-existent strike in this area. The cud on

the half is in the 2 O'clock area.

are cuds desirable?

They are considered errors rather than varieties but are among the most popular

errors. Press operators will immediately shut down a press when a die breaks and

the output will be destroyed and the die changed. Very few of these escape the

mint. Prices start at $20 or so for major cuds but can go much higher when they

are on popular coins or very late date coins. Even small cuds on Lincolns from the

early '60's which are pretty common will bring a few dollars.

Archived