CoinPeople.com

Does Olive Oil Do Anthing?

jlueke

Sometimes people wonder if olive oil has any impact on coins, especially for cleaning old ancients. While it is not terribly fast or corrosive it definifely does have some acids in there.

The below coin was submerged for five days

OliveOilImpact1.jpg

Someone over on CU had a few rolls soaked in olive oil for 38 years. They still look BU and red.

I've soaked coins in olive oil and never had one turn out like that. May not have been in there long enough.

I was tempted to say that we have to ask Popeye. But I decided not too since this isn't the asylum.

On topic. I have some lincoln and IH cents in my garage that have been in olive oil for over a year. The olive oil is changed every quarter. No apparent changes to the coins -- or the olive oil.

Olive oil? I know it burns well. . . . . . now were you Using Virgin olive oil. . . there are differant qualitys of Olive oil. . . . . just ask Popeye. . .

Sorry I couldn't resist. . .

Is that before or is that after?

If after, what did it look like before?  If before, what does it look like now?

Your post could be interpretted several ways.

John

This is after, it was your typical shiny copper plated zinc Lincoln from circulation.

I suspect that copper coins behave differently than the zinc plated ones. Though, if the copper was pristine I'd imagine there'd be some reaction. If it has toned a little the toning could act as a protective buffer.

Archived