CoinPeople.com

100 Years of Bliss

bill

A new acquisition for my aluminum collection, a 1957 high relief medal celebrating 100 years of service to the medal working industry. The obverse features E.W. Bliss, founder of the E.W. Bliss Co. Bliss's estate, the former Murphy estate, was left to New York City for park land and is now known as Owl's Head Park. Bliss made his fortune as a manufacturer who introduced and implemented techniques of mass production to the pressed metal industry. He was elected to the American Precision Hall of Fame in 1988. Born in 1836, he made toys as a youth to earn pocket money, worked in the shops of the New York Central Railroad, managed the Charles Parker gun factory, fought in the first battle of Bull Run, and was superindendent for Andrew Campbell printing press production. In 1882, his company became E.W. Bliss and employed 13,000 at the time of his death in 1903.

The reverse features the steps in the metal working process from ingot, to mill rolls, blanking, and finish stamping, all showing the production of the medal itself. The stages show the range of Bliss metal working including rolling mills and rolls, presses, and die sets.

The medal was designed by Ralph Menconi (presidential inaugural medals among his many works) and struck by the Medallic Art Co. from .204 inch aluminum stock on a Bliss 400-ton knuckle joint press.

I'll post a interesting story about this medal in Coin Forum (Ebay Tale).

908713.jpg

That has to be one of the nicest pieces of aluminum I've ever seen :ninja:

Archived