CoinPeople.com

US mint set, satin finish

UncleBobo

In 2005, and I assume the same will be done in 2006, The US Mint applied a satin finish to the coins in their uncirculated mint set.

The general reaction of the coinpeople was unenthusiastic, if not downright hostile to the idea. When I received the set in the mail if there was a difference in the coins it was an improvement over the regular uncirculated coins. The sac dollar and the buffalo nickel were two notable examples of this improvement.

Now that we have had the time to live with coins, and the expectation of the new set to come I was wondering how we feel about the satin finish now?

If we still don't like it, explain why.

Still don't like them because I only want regular circulation strikes for my 1900-present set. I don't do proofs or any other special finishes in that set. That means instead of just buying a $15 (or whatever) mint set from the Mint each year like I used to, I have to go to a show and buy the individual coins and that costs me more money and makes it more difficult.

I would have no problem with a special finish mint set if they hadn't stopped offering the regular mint set.

Still don't like them because I only want regular circulation strikes for my 1900-present set. I don't do proofs or any other special finishes in that set. That means instead of just buying a $15 (or whatever) mint set from the Mint each year like I used to, I have to go to a show and buy the individual coins and that costs me more money and makes it more difficult.

I would have no problem with a special finish mint set if they hadn't stopped offering the regular mint set.

Exactly the way I feel for the exact same reasons (excpet that there is no local show here with the current US circulating pieces). Make the satin finish set -fine, but make it in addition to the true cirulation set.

How's a satin finish look?

They did something to the regular UK coinage in 1998 that i've heard some describe as 'satin'. Seems very silky mirror like finish that scuffs as soon as it meets another coin in circ. A very cunning tactic by the Royal mint to make everyone buy mint sets. Because after two weeks in circulation the UNC coins are scuffed to death.

BINGO!! :ninja:

Archived