CoinPeople.com

Welcome New Members

Hello and welcome to all of you "new" folks. Haven't seen any info posts. Why not take a few minutes and tell us about what you collect?

Information post, eh?

I began collecting coins approx. three years ago when for Christmas my father-in-law gifted me with 30 years of mint and proof sets from the US mint.

I was thunderstruck-loved what I was seeing and immediately began putting together a US type set in a Dansco book. Began planning a date and mint set but within a couple of weeks I realized the lack of variety would drive me to drink.

I began making visits to local coin stores in the Rochester NY area and came across some French coins I remembered from my youth (born in Agen, France in 1949) and again I was thunderstruck-what a natural fit!

Well, to make something long into something short I gradually discovered the rest of the worlds coinage and three years later I am between 1300-1500 coins and adding weekly.

The concept of one from every country appealed to me and that's the direction I'm still aimed in-although one from every in some cases is 40 from particular countries.

My largest country collections seem to have evolved into Great Britain, france, Germany, Japan, China, and India although many others have substantial numbers.

Probably close to 300 countries by now but the goal is three centuries of type coins from every country I can lay my hands on.

I'm at that point where quantity is diminishing but quality is on the rise.

I've always tried to limit myself to a max of $100/coin but have several in the $300 to $400 range.

That's about it-still following the path with eyes sharp for those elusive beauties we all love.

What's your story?

Archived