CoinPeople.com

Every collector should own .....(blank)

Doogy

"every US silver dollar collector should own at least one ______"

1921 `peace' dollar. More to them than subesquent peace dollars, and more character than plain jane Morgans.

"every world silver coin collector should own at least one______"

Marie Theresia Burgau Taler. Original or re-strike. At circa silver bullion value, there is no valid financial excuse as to why you don't have at least one of these beauties in your collection.

"every world coin collector should own at least one _______"

Ancient Greek silver

Ancient Roman silver

"every world gold coin collector should own at least one _______"

Victoria sovereign

"every high-end investor/collector should strive to find a _______"

coin that only I possess. Oh the power.. the power.... the money.... :-)

Ian

I'm gonna answer this a little different way - but some of my answers are quite similar to others already posted.

1921 Peace dollar - it's just my favorite of the lot. (sorry no pic on this one)

Spanish colonial 8 reales -

1761-M%208%20reale%20rev.JPG

seems we agree on the 1921 peace dollar Doug. It really is `different' and yet affordable. :-)

I had thought that when mention was made of spanish colonial 8 R's we were talking about the real deal though after all, these were the first American coins. I don't know quite how they are priced on the market these days, but they used to be quite affordable. I remember buying six for £60 a piece just a few years back :

Cob3obv.jpg

Cob3rev.jpg

For some reason the cobs just never appealed to me Ian. I never cared for the sloppy minting method nor the way the coins look. They always make me think they are the result of laziness.

Now if they had stayed with the original program and made them similar to this 1542 four reales -

1542%20C-J%204%20reale%20obv.jpg

1542%20C-J%204%20reale%20rev%20a.jpg

Now THAT I would have liked ! But that's why they make chocolate and vanilla pal :ninja:

For some reason the cobs just never appealed to me Ian. I never cared for the sloppy minting method nor the way the coins look. They always make me think they are the result of laziness.

:lol:

They were indeed the result of laziness though. Laziness, poor technique, and greed in the form of rushing to get the new found wealth transported back hone in a quasi `ready to use' state.

Now if they had stayed with the original program and made them similar to this 1542 four reales -

1542%20C-J%204%20reale%20obv.jpg

1542%20C-J%204%20reale%20rev%20a.jpg

Now THAT I would have liked ! But that's why they make chocolate and vanilla pal  :ninja:

....but if they had done that, you wouldn't have posted the pillar dollar, I wouldn't have posted the cob and we would both be totally speechless. :cry:

Ian

`small mercies'

1921 `peace' dollar. More to them than subesquent peace dollars, and more character than plain jane Morgans.

Marie Theresia Burgau Taler. Original or re-strike. At circa silver bullion value, there is no valid financial excuse as to why you don't have at least one of these beauties in your collection.

"every world coin collector should own at least one _______"

Ancient Greek silver

Ancient Roman silver

"every world gold coin collector should own at least one _______"

Victoria sovereign

"every high-end investor/collector should strive to find a _______"

coin that only I possess. Oh the power.. the power.... the money.... :-)

Ian

Ian,

thanks for weighing in, i love reading about different coins. What may I ask is different about the '21 Peace Dollar. I'm not a collector of Morgans or Peace dollars, although I know what they are. Is the '21 Peace a different style, or is it rare/valuable? thanks, i look forward to your impressions.

Doug

Ian,

thanks for weighing in, i love reading about different coins.  What may I ask is different about the '21 Peace Dollar.  I'm not a collector of Morgans or Peace dollars, although I know what they are.  Is the '21 Peace a different style, or is it rare/valuable?  thanks, i look forward to your impressions.

Doug

Hi Doug,

There may be other differences, but THE one I think of is that the 1921 was made in high relief.

Maybe this is `urban legend' material, but as I understand it the design was changed for subsequent years (ie lower relief) due to complaints that they wouldn't stack. Maybe someone with more knowledge of these will chime in (?). There is no doubting that the 1921 is indeed a higher relief coin than the later dates and therefore one of a kind.

Ian

You are indeed correct Ian - the '21 was struck in high relief.

Doug if you ever get the chance in a shop or a show, place a '21 next to a '22 or '25, whatever - and look at the difference. It's like night and day.

Thanks Doug & Ian, I'll be sure to do a comparison of the two. thanks again!

Doug

Archived