CoinPeople.com

My two other purchases

jlueke

Sceat308.jpg

This is a Rhein-Frisian silver sceatta from between 695-710 AD. This fits in well into my set of portraiture change and development. The obverse of this coin is often nicknamed “Porcupine”. If the proper image is rotated 90 degrees one can easily see why. But, this also shows how differently we interpret images at times. Looking at this coin head on at a 45 degree tilt, and not only the face but even distinct lips become easily visible. Beside the aesthetic interest the sceatta is an interesting denomination. I haven’t done much reading but I imagine it is supplanted by the denier or English penny in relatively short order. My last purchase was a nice Celtic Bronze that I acquired from my traveling companion :

Amorica309.jpg

A billon stater, Amorica, from 75-56 BC. My money spent it was time to head to the Museum of Natural History.

I love the top one!

The bottom one, tell me is that a horse on the reverse? I always see horses on these staters whether it's supposed to be one or not! :ninja: Wishful thinking?

That is definitely a horse. I'm just not sure what the thing above its head is supposed to be.

In case it is not clear from Hooker's site, the abstract figure above the horse is a chariot driver (this is a highly abstract design). A boar appears below the horse. I believe this is a billion piece. Very nice. Both coins are great purchases and excellent items for your collection. Congratulations.

This is the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the top coin:

897373.jpg

For some reason, it kind of looked like a primitive version to me. :ninja:

Well it would be nice to have an actual portrait or versistic statue of a Celt to compare their coins to. But there are similarities especially with the feathers and the hair ;)

Well it would be nice to have an actual portrait or versistic statue of a Celt to compare their coins to.  But there are similarities especially with the feathers and the hair :ninja:

How about this image of a Celtic woman issued after Caesar's victories in Gaul?

907692.jpg

How about this image of a Celtic woman issued after Caesar's victories in Gaul?

It's a little hard to see. What's the attribution?

Its a Roman republican denier. I'll post the coin to Omnicoin this evening so I can link to a better picture.

Full attribution:

L. Hostilius Saserna. Ca. 48 BC. AR denarius. Head of Gallia / Artemis with stag.

Crawford 448/3

Edited post #12 to add larger picture. I have to reshoot it, but its the best I got today.

With the attribution we can also look at a variety of the type here Hostilius Saserna

Not only can one get a Celtic woman but also a portrait of Vercingetorix. Interesting. Although the woman can be had for mayve $600 in decent condition while Vercingetorix annihilates any budget I will have for quite some time.

Archived