CoinPeople.com

The one I got and the one that got away

jlueke

On Friday afternoon I headed to the New York International to acquire some new coins. My first target was an argentus, then I would also see if I could find any of the Palm Tree nummus multiples from Byzantine Alexandria. As I made the initial rounds I spied two better argenti, the first at CNG and the second at Baldwins. I then went over to Glen Woods’ table. I had found several of the coins on his Vcoins site and he had indicated that he had quite a few. Apparently there was a hoard of these that was distributed not too long ago and they are now oozing onto the market. Glenn’s pieces ranged from good VF to EF. The two coins on the floor may have been superb but they were also doubly as expensive. So I finally settled on this piece ConstantiusI307.jpg

At this point I renewed my quest for the Palm tree 6 or 3 nummi pieces which I had been conducting in parallel as I looked for some argenti. Finally, I was directed to the one piece that seemed to exist at this show. But alas! Someone was just in the process of buying it. So, I did get to look at the coin and the price tag but I did not get to buy it. I bear part of the blame for the bad luck myself. I had skipped some tables earlier due some personal dislikes. Excepting one or two extreme cases it is probably better to keep an open mind each show. After the hunt, the near catch, and the disappointment several hours had gone by. I was quite parched and decided to retreat for the night. The floor traffic on Friday was very good, at times the aisles were literally clogged with people. Everyone I spoke with seemed quite satisfied. I managed to chit chat with a few new persons and renew acquaintance with some others.

That is a very nice coin. Is it gold?

Thanks, it is not gold. It is a silver Argentus. I think gold from this period is about ten times as pricey :ninja:

Archived