CoinPeople.com

Miscellaneous Aluminum Medals

I need to reshoot most of these, but I'll post a few aluminum medals from my collection. I started collecting aluminum years ago to pass the time when I was short on cash. I quickly learned that there are some really nice works out there in aluminum, especially early on when the metal was still new.

The first is a medal for National Patriotism, from Turkey, 1896. I bought the piece from Steve Album who noted it was the earliest use of aluminum in Turkey and the obverse could be a pattern for a commerative coin issued about the same time.

906351.jpg

USA next, 1897. Humoristen's Premium Medal for a Scandinavian newspaper in Chicago. The king is Oscar II of Norway and Sweden.

906352.jpg

Great Britian, 1901, Memoriam Medal for Queen Victoria. I know nothing else about this medal.

906873.jpg

Norway, 1906, Haakon Coronation Medal. Privately issued by Ivar Throndsen, designer of many Norwegian coins of the period. You can read more (in Norwegian) at:

http://www.1905-2005.no/5medal.html

906347.jpg

and just for fun, the Big Nickel (1951)

906355.jpg

Some fast search results on the price of aluminum:

1880s $8.00 a pound.

1884 125 pounds of aluminum produced

1886 sliver and aluminum about the same price

1888 - commercial production starts with new patents in November, $4.86 a pound.

1893 - 78 cents a pound

1900 - 33 cents a pound

1920 - 20 cents a pound

• 3 weeks later...

Here's another from my collection. I bought this years ago in a Johnson and Jensen auction. I know little about it. It is large, 10.12 cm (that's almost 4 inches). It was designed by Heinrich Kissing and struck by Deposé of France. The obverse shows Pope Pius XI, pope from 1922 to 1939, along with various Vatican buildings (I need to do more research on which ones and why). I'm assuming they are the basilica he authorized three cardinals to open for the Holy Year. The reverse shows Pius (on the left) with a hammer in hand used to open the Holy Door of St. Peter's Basilica to begin the 23rd Jubilee year of the Catholic Church. Worshipers are turned to Christ in the heavens. The latin motto is the motto of Pius XI, The Peace of Christ in the Kingdom of Christ. It was the theme of his Jubliee Year.

907790.jpg

My scale only goes to 50.00 grams and its something more than that. I guess I would call it heavy.

• 3 years later...

A recent acquisition at the summer ANA show:

971242.jpg

James H. Pettibone had his start as a clerk and later became the owner. He imported fancy goods and toys and added the military trimmings in 1873. The aluminum medal pictured here dates to the 1890s.

Some nice pieces! A little more information on that Vatican piece for you. The buildings on the obverse are indeed the four major basilicas in Rome which contain Holy Doors to be opened for the Jubilee years. Clockwise from the top, they are the Basilica of Saint Peter, the Basilica of Saint Mary Major, the Basilica of Saint John Lateran, and the Basilica of Saint Paul Outside the Walls. In a reference that I have, a "metallo bianco" (white metal) piece is recorded as weighing 106.15 grams.

Contradicting the information you provided, the book states that the metal is the work of Franz Kissing and was struck by the factory of Heinrich Kissing in Menden, Germany. It does not explain the presence of "Deposé" on the medal. I can't be sure of course if this information in the book is 100% correct or not, but I figured I'd just put it out there.

I need to reshoot most of these, but I'll post a few aluminum medals from my collection.

Great Britian, 1901, Memoriam Medal for Queen Victoria. I know nothing else about this medal.

906873.jpg

Hope it is aluminum but is only listed in white metal by BHM as #3692 39mm N. (for normal # struck) by ? Mind BHM is not always totally reliable and it is extremely difficult to tell the difference between certain white metals & aluminum.

At least your very nice latest addition leaves no doubt that it is aluminum!

Some nice pieces! A little more information on that Vatican piece for you. The buildings on the obverse are indeed the four major basilicas in Rome which contain Holy Doors to be opened for the Jubilee years. Clockwise from the top, they are the Basilica of Saint Peter, the Basilica of Saint Mary Major, the Basilica of Saint John Lateran, and the Basilica of Saint Paul Outside the Walls. In a reference that I have, a "metallo bianco" (white metal) piece is recorded as weighing 106.15 grams.

Contradicting the information you provided, the book states that the metal is the work of Franz Kissing and was struck by the factory of Heinrich Kissing in Menden, Germany. It does not explain the presence of "Deposé" on the medal. I can't be sure of course if this information in the book is 100% correct or not, but I figured I'd just put it out there.

Thank you, that is helpful information. Perhaps Kissing struck the medal for Deposé. Not all marketers of commemorative medals make their own products.

Hope it is aluminum but is only listed in white metal by BHM as #3692 39mm N. (for normal # struck) by ? Mind BHM is not always totally reliable and it is extremely difficult to tell the difference between certain white metals & aluminum.

At least your very nice latest addition leaves no doubt that it is aluminum!

I do believe this is aluminum, but I haven't done a specific gravity or other test that would confirm it. I have other white metal pieces that were sold as aluminum and I am certain they are white metal. There is a difference in weight and fabric between the various alloys and aluminum, but I would agree that some are close. Thanks for the cataloging info.

Archived