CoinPeople.com

Greek Identification

Emperor Oli

I can read Lysimachos Basileus. It's a Lysimachos coin (one of the Alexanders the Great Generals). Tetradrachm Thrace 305BC-281BC 17,263 grams,

Obverse Type: Head of Alexander the Great, profile to the right; border of dots.

Reverse Type: Helmeted Athena seated on throne to the left, her left arm resting on shield; winged Nike stands on Athena's right hand, and crowns Lysimachos' name.

Reverse Legend: BASILEÔS LUSIMACHOU

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext...BCMA%201914.6.7

I looked through all of them, and only one or two had a stamp in the same place as mine, but it didn't look anything like it.

What about the Sigma beneath the Nike? Yours has that. Does any of the others?

The ones with the mintmarks in the same place as yours, where were they struck?

Also -- details count -- yours has the word BASILEOS diagonally toward 11 o'clock.

A five dollar (or five pound) junk box find. Congratulations! Was that a coin shop or a flea market? And have you weighed it?

Why do you say that?

For one that you found it in a junk box, not impossible but unlikely.

The style doesn't look quite right, but that could just be more.

More importantly, the sigma on the reverse doesn't appear on any genuine coins that I know of and is used by some of the more honest Eastern European engravers to denote a reproduction.

Finally, the thing at 9 o'clock looks unlike anything I've noted before.

Your best bet for a definive answer would probably be to post this to Moneta-L or on the Forum site.

For one that you found it in a junk box, not impossible but unlikely.

The style doesn't look quite right, but that could just be more.

More importantly, the sigma on the reverse doesn't appear on any genuine coins that I know of and is used by some of the more honest Eastern European engravers to denote a reproduction. 

Finally, the thing at 9 o'clock looks unlike anything I've noted before.

Your best bet for a definive answer would probably be to post this to Moneta-L or on the Forum site.

I just posted it on the Forum, so we shall sit and wait.

I just posted it on the Forum, so we shall sit and wait.

Cool, I hope someone knows specifically what it is, real or not, cause now I'm curious.

Did you weigh it? Is it tetradrachm or drachm size?

Cool, I hope someone knows specifically what it is, real or not, cause now I'm curious.

"The Forum" Link

"The obverse looks perfect: wear, where it is to be expected; dark patina, even in scratches; good round edge. The reverse shows a fingerprint, possibly made with an 'inky' finger. The acid in ink will leave a stain forever. The die with which the coin was struck (no doubt in my mind) shows a peculiar craquelure I can not explain, but perhaps a metallurgist can. I find the execution overall of good quality and I would not doubt the coin."

"You have quite nice tetradrachm of Lysimachos, king of Thrace. Even if it was a fake (I not doubt the coin too), it should be a very good copy."

"The Forum" Link

"The obverse looks perfect: wear, where it is to be expected; dark patina, even in scratches; good round edge.  The reverse shows a fingerprint, possibly made with an 'inky' finger. The acid in ink will leave a stain forever. The die with which the coin was struck (no doubt in my mind) shows a peculiar craquelure I can not explain, but perhaps a metallurgist can.  I find the execution overall of good quality and I would not doubt the coin."

"You have quite nice tetradrachm of Lysimachos, king of Thrace.  Even  if it was a fake (I not doubt the coin too), it should be a very good copy."

Hopefully that is true, I need the sigma explained to convicne myself :ninja:

Also, what is the size and weight?

Archived