CoinPeople.com

Verdun

Since I'm learning about medals. I was wondering about the ones with holes & Ribbons. Did they have value? Or is it just the medallions that are highly collectable?

Glad to see one with a hole in it.

I really don't have much experience with either, but my guess is that both can have a lot of value.

In my experience medals can have holes and still be quite valuable. Of course some were made with a hole and others acquired their holes "unofficially". The distinction of medal vs medallion is relatively modern, most medals weren't made to be worn until about 1820-ish. There's lots of exceptions of course but I'm talking about in general. So what are called medallions today (or table medals is another term) were called medals at the time they were made.

A medal that was worn was something the aristocracy had something of a lock on prior to 1820. The things they wore are usually thought of as orders or decorations today and brought membership in a society of fellow recipients. The Legion of Honor in France is an example.

Human beings, being what we are, it was common to drill a hole in a medal and hang it around your neck before going out to march in the parade. Some people did a really good job and others just pounded a nail through the medal. So you'll see both.

Hmmm.... I seem to be rambling. Well, it's that kind of day today... :ninja:

Archived