CoinPeople.com

Choice Circ

tommyd

I've annoyed friends for years by using the designation "Choice Circ" to describe a certain category of coins -- while others use 'nice' and other tepid descriptions, I insist that a well-circulated coin can be a VERY desirable item. To me, it must meet, however, meet the following criteria:

1) Can only grade between AG-3 & VG-10.

2) Must have nice, original color.

3) Can NOT have ANY dings, gouges or scratches that may detract from the overall appearance.

4) Should have been 'born' a well-struck coin to begin with (sometimes hard to determine).

Here's one example (photographed through a slab -- ANY imperfections are in the plastic and NOT on the coin's surface). I'm sure everyone has some of these in their collections. SHOW US!!!

ifrfyr.jpg

ifrggi.jpg

I would buy that coin in a second if the price was right. Worn coins are jut as good to me as mint ones. Choice circulated is a good way to describe the coin above.

WLH's, for example, look fantastic in worn and mint condition. Barber halfs seem to do really well also.

I guess it's a good category since worn coins without problems are more scarce. The way I've described such coins in the past has been something like "solid VG" or simply "no problems" which usually meets all the criteria of your choice description within the grades described.

Archived