CoinPeople.com

Bank of Washtenaw

mmarotta

At the MSNS convention this Thanksgiving Weekend, I bought from Larry Falater, these two Bank of Washtenaw notes to be used as illustrations in an article that I am writing.

The Bank of Washtenaw operated for almost 20 years, from 1835 to 1854.

The $1 note is Bowen 10. The $2 is Bowen 17.

At the MSNS convention this Thanksgiving Weekend, I bought from Larry Falater, these two Bank of Washtenaw notes to be used as illustrations in an article that I am writing.

The Bank of Washtenaw operated for almost 20 years, from 1835 to 1854.

The $1 note is Bowen 10.  The $2 is Bowen 17.

Actually my son and I looked at the exhibits, and there was an exhibit on the Michigan obsoletes, unfortunately in my opinion, the notes were just jumbled in there so you could not even see all of them.

I saw a few others in the bourse area, but I was looking more for coins.

The show was a good one for us, we all spent lots of $$$$ on coins, me the most, in fact considerably more than I have ever spent at a show.

We were there on Saturday whilst the ladies shopped at Briarwood.

...  there was an exhibit on the Michigan obsoletes, unfortunately in my opinion, the notes were just jumbled in there so you could not even see all of them.

I think that was an "artistic" decision. I was a little surpised myself, actually, but it was his choice and the book, Early Banks and Banking by Alpheus Felch, was the real centerpiece of the exhibit.

The exhibitor, Prof. Mark Karl Pall, teaches "Wildcat Banking" at Macomb Community College. I was happy to have met him. It helped my research in this area.

Archived