CoinPeople.com

Washington / Lafayette Medal

Commemorating the French and American alliance during World War One through the recall of earlier alliance during the American War of Indepencence.

This design (by gaston Lavrillier) was also used in medal form (with ribbon and suspension) by the town of Chateau -Thierry in 1920 to celebrate the efforts of French and American soldiers who had fought in that vicinity. There are variants. I have seen the exact same item with an `A' on the reverse inder the date (usually associated with Paris Mint). This one has a `D' (usually associated with Lyon mint). Given that the item was indeed made in Paris, i'm struggling to find the significance between the use of the two letters on this occasion.

This particular medalet is brass but with an unusually good silver plating.

LavrillierObv.jpg

LavrillierRev.jpg

Sadly, I have no knowledge of the distribution of each variant or the numbers involved.

Given that the design was commissioned by different entities it can only be presumed that there was a limitation placed on the `circulation' by each customer it was commissioned by (one of which was the town council of Chateau-Thierry).

One obverse variant does not have the names of the figures, nor does it carry the designers name incused on the shoulder of Lafayette.

Perhaps I should add that this one cost all of €3.50 plus postage.

Ian

Archived