CoinPeople.com

1849 Liberty gold dollar

Silver Penny

Before I continue with the subject, do note that there ISN'T a need to SPAM your same post 3 times.

If we can't respond to your answer within a few mins, that's because we aren't robots. Usually you get a reply within the next day at latest.

---

Ok, back to the topic - *please* doy to provide a picture of both the obversesand the reverses of both coins. You know the phrase "a picture is worth a thousand words" don't you? It's just very difficult to visualize what they could be.

>> But do be warned, chances are that if you think you got a bargain because you paid some "cheap" prices, chances are that you might have a counterfeit coin as it seems earlier US gold coins were heavily counterfeited. <<

It might be a lot quicker if you bring those coins to your coin dealers if you can't provide a scan or pictures of your coins.

It could be a california gold dollar, though those had 10 stars, not 9, they weren't minted until 1852, and I don't know of any coat of arms on any of them. All US gold dollars of 1849 had 13 stars on the obverse and no coat of arms. I agree with gxseries, if you could provide a photo it would help.

I know it is not counterfeit because it's been in my family since 1849, could it be that few of these coins were minted specially for Canada?

I would love to see a pic, if you dont have a camera draw it or something.

I was wondering how you came to find out that they had purchased it in 1849 and not a later date? just curious.

the coins are about 1 cm in diamiter and have the librety head on front with 9 stars above her head and 1849 at the bottom, on the backside there is an open wreath with one written in the middle and a code of arms at the bottom of the wreath, it is almost reddish gold. I know they are 1849 because they were purchased by my father in law's grandfather for his wife and after she died each of her daughter's got one and eventually my husband got them both. since they are so old and seem to be in very good shape I assumed they were purchsed as soon as they came out. They are so small that the camera can't focus enough to capture the details.

Do they look like this:

1849_gold_dollar_obv.jpg

1849_gold_dollar_rev.jpg

If not, they are not US issued gold dollars of 1849.

The only pattern I know of is the Judd-115, which apparently had a square hole in the middle (clearly not your coin). I found this on the Judd-115:

"As early as 1849, the first year of issue for the denomination, James B. Longacre had prepared dies and had struck a 16mm (5/8 inch) pattern. Known as Judd 115 the coin featured a squared hole in the middle. The obverse design combined a thin line wreath with the legend u. states of america while the reverse had thirteen stars, the denomination 1 dollar, and the date 1849. There are 6-7 known specimens of this pattern."

Icould not find a photo of the Judd-115, but the last one sold that I could find was at a Heritage auction in 1997.

There was another pattern, a Judd-116 that was gold plated silver, presumably similar to the Judd-115 which was auctioned in 2003 by Goldbergs as lot 571 of the Dr. Jacob Terner Collection.

s_059090.jpg

s_059090n2.jpg

If your coins do not look like any of these, then they are not US issued gold dollars or patterns of US gold dollars.

Archived