CoinPeople.com

Coin gradings question from novice!

macava

Ok, first off I'm an amateur to this, and in checking values of coins I have some questions. I thought that a PL coin is about as good of condition as you find correct? MS63, M64 etc, would be lower quality? If thats true(perhaps it isn't, like I said I'm an idiot to all this right now!), why do PL coins have much lower value in general? Sorry if this is very basic info, but I appreciate anyone's time and clarification. :ninja:

Request: this question to be moved to the main forum.

PL means it's Proof-like and it's a different thing.

MS means mint strike.

It depends on when and how and what the mint did with the coins. Usually Proof or prooflike coins are more expensive but that all depends with the mintage number etc...

I can't explain this pretty well... :ninja:

PL is a designation are the coins were prepared/struck differently.

For virtually all coins from the 1960s and laters, proof-like coins were struck in large quantities, and are thus common.

On the other hand, MS (circulation coins) often get bagmarked or otherwise damaged as a result of being bagged, binned, etc. So higher MS grades are tougher to get, and thus are valued more.

Lets add some more confusion to the topic. Proof-like does not refer to proof coins. You will never see a PL designation on a proof coin - its always used in conjunction with a mint state (MS) coin.

Proof-like coins do not come from specially prepared dies, they come from production dies and, for one reason or another, exhibit mirrored fields. They are generally much harder to find. A good example would be the PL and DMPL Morgan dollars on the market today. They command a premium over similarly graded non-PL coins.

Lets add some more confusion to the topic.  Proof-like does not refer to proof coins.  You will never see a PL designation on a proof coin - its always used in conjunction with a mint state (MS) coin.

Proof-like coins do not come from specially prepared dies, they come from production dies and, for one reason or another, exhibit mirrored fields.  They are generally much harder to find.  A good example would be the PL and DMPL Morgan dollars on the market today.  They command a premium over similarly graded non-PL coins.

I'm going to disagree on that on the basis on different Canadian/American definitions of "proof-like".

Archived