CoinPeople.com

A reasonable point of debate

bahabully

I don't mean to come off like a jerk here...but that's like me asking someone who buys a coin from my shop to toss in a few extra dollars so I can keep the light bill paid... It dosen't work like that...If the EBay fees are too much then just don't use it...

I undergrade my coins to ensure that the buyer is happy with the quality and I've found that doing so generates many happy repeat buyers. Grading coins is very subjective,,, I've found most (not all) big sellers on ebay grade coins agressively high,,, always pissed me off and I try to ensure that anyone who purchased a coin from me never felt that way.

With all the misrepresentation, overgrading and outright fraud on Ebay, I don't worry too much about a little padding of shipping, etc as long as I know it before hand.

But, as a seller, you have to weigh the hassle of something like trying to split paypal fees which include the time fighting with buyers who take exception to it, possible NARU, negative feedbacks, etc.

You may think you have a case for being able to do it but, from what I have seen, the quickest way to get Ebay to take action on something is when it affects their profits. Selling an obvious counterfit as a genuine coins will take an act of God to get the auction pulled...and He better fill out the forms in triplicate and get an expert to back Him up. :ninja: Pad your fees too much and you will get your auction or account cancelled at the first complaint, I bet. ;)

With all the misrepresentation, overgrading and outright fraud on Ebay, I don't worry too much about a little padding of shipping, etc as long as I know it before hand.

But, as a seller, you have to weigh the hassle of something like trying to split paypal fees which include the time fighting with buyers who take exception to it, possible NARU, negative feedbacks, etc.

You may think you have a case for being able to do it but, from what I have seen, the quickest way to get Ebay to take action on something is when it affects their profits. Selling an obvious counterfit as a genuine coins will take an act of God to get the auction pulled...and He better fill out the forms in triplicate and get an expert to back Him up. :ninja: Pad your fees too much and you will get your auction or account cancelled at the first complaint, I bet. ;)

Yeah, I guess you and the collective are right. Still haven't heard back from ebay (will update if/when I get a reply), but I think that given the feedback so far it appears that the process of 'splitting' fee's may may not be worth the trouble.

Guess it's time for a S&H increase,,,, usually charged around 1.75 to 2.55 to help cover the ebay costs, stamp, envelope, and time. Maybe 3.25 to 4.50 will spread the pain just as well..... and may actually take a bigger bite out of the ebay final sale fee (legally,,, lol)

ALL - thanks for the feedback and guidance... good stuff,,,, even better when it's abit heated ;)

I am good at math. :ninja: However, I prefer the straight forward single fee sellers. Especially as an overseas buyer, I want to deal with sellers that offer the least amount of possible confusion. I would prefer the "padded" charges (so long as it is not the MAIN source of profit) than adding up many different fees.

As I scour looking for the best (and safest) deal on a specific coin, I will search through many avenues. I do not want to get stuck on one site counting up this % and that % subtracting possible X fees and so on. That is just my way of shopping.

I am sure that a lot of non-US buyers will leave bidding out. USians are too accustomed to adding sales tax on every purchase, so I guess some additional calculating goes with the territory for you. Here, all taxes are included in the final price, so what you see is what you pay. Or in the case of lottery, what you win IS what you will receive. ;)

and I think that it's fair to both parties so long as they mutually agree to known terms in advance of a purchase...........

.........I could give a crud about making a dime on any coin I've ever purchased,,, although giving them away at a significantly lower cost than I purchased them for bugs me,,,, which is why I try to split the pain of the:

ebay listing fee

ebay final sale fee

paypal .30 fee

paypal 2.9% sale fee

stamp

envelope

gas.... and my time (of which I've none if spent reading ebay policy).

Here's my view: If both parties agreed, you wouldn't be having this problem. Your buyer didn't agree and didn't feel like going along with your contention that by bidding he agreed to your terms. He has the perfect way out of your terms in the fact that there's an ebay policy prohibiting your condition of sale.

When you make these conditions and you get an agreeable buyer, ebay doesn't get dragged into it, but paypal will not come through with their buyer's or seller's protection if the fee splitting is done.

Also, if you want to avoid giving away some of your investment in the coin you're listing, figure up what you need for the coin, allow yourself enough margin to cover fees, then do it on a BIN only listing. In the end, whether others agree with you or not doesn't matter if ebay doesn't agree.

Archived