CoinPeople.com

Wow, went to my first coin show

ccarroll

Had a new experience of going to my first coin show - a three-day event at the Waldorf Astoria, which was quite something.

Just curious, do you think most ordinary collectors buy a lot at those shows, or generally not? I'm trying to figure out the best method of selling a few coins, but don't have any idea if most small collectors focus on shows.

I think 99% of the selling is by dealers. As a small collector, I go to a certain show every year to buy what I can't find in my town's small coin store.

Glad you had a great time!!

I would think about 75% of all coin sales today are at coin shows. Many of the dealers there have a coin or hobby store too. There are goods and bads about a coin show. Just remember that the larger the show, the more it cost dealers to rent table spaces. Also, at multi day shows dealers have to stay at motels and/or hotels and sometimes bring family with. They have to eat out so that too costs money. All these expenses have to be made from the sale of coins so they must really jump the prices of coins up to cover all that. At smaller shows the dealers are normally from the area and don't stay there at night. Those too eat at home and that too saves them money. Small shows table rental too are much, much smaller.

At a reacent coin show in the Chicago area some of the tables were as much as $3,000. Imagine how many coins muct be sold to pay for that.

Yes, coin shows are grear. You get to see coins you may never be able to buy too.

Shows are a great place to meet dealers who you might not otherwise bump into, and a great experience for being exposed to things you may not have otherwise considered - excellent experiences for that alone.

I take time off work so I can go to the state coin show -- I always have a ball, and always come home with something that makes me happy that I would not have predicted I would have come home with. :)

And every now and then, you get a once in a lifetime opportunity to see or do something -- like when they had a display of a complete set of Seated Lib dollars five years ago, and while I was drooling over looking at them, the owner of the collection casually reached into the case and handed me the 1870-S so I could have a closer look... :swoon:

And every now and then, you get a once in a lifetime opportunity to see or do something -- like when they had a display of a complete set of Seated Lib dollars five years ago, and while I was drooling over looking at them, the owner of the collection casually reached into the case and handed me the 1870-S so I could have a closer look... :swoon:

:shock:

Going to a show this weekend for the first time in a few years. I am always on a mission at those shows so I never slow down and enjoy any of the exhibits. Maybe I should...

• 3 weeks later...

I always enjoy a good show. The Exhibits are usually my favorite area at a big show. Amazing stuff.