CoinPeople.com

5kop1768EM - wing combination

sigistenz

In 1768 there were two eagle types. About 1/2 of the 5kop. still bore the early eagle (1763 to 1767 type) and the other half already bore the new eagle (1769 to 1778 type). My latest acquisition shows a combination of the two. The left wing is of the new skinny type, the right wing is still of the old fat type. :crazy:

Sigi

5Fx91y.jpg

In 1768 there were two eagle types. About 1/2 of the 5kop. still bore the early eagle (1763 to 1767 type) and the other half already bore the new eagle (1769 to 1778 type). My latest acquisition shows a combination of the two. The left wing is of the new skinny type, the right wing is still of the old fat type. :crazy:

Sigi

5Fx91y.jpg

Beautiful coin and photo too! :bthumbsup::bthumbsup::bthumbsup:

Yes indeed, and everything is in fact transitional :shock:

As to BKB's question:- In 1778 they were no longer happy with the eagle design which had served for 10 years. Several short lived eagle changes (now called "transitional eagle"- переходный орел) occurred until in 1779 a final design was adopted which again was good for nearly 10 years to come. Tansitional eagles are seen on both years.

I got some in my collection (see link).

Sigi

• 2 weeks later...

You might be interested to take a look in this topic Sigi http://coins.su/forum/index.php?showtopic=31853

Thank you very much Eugene - very interesting indeed - an eagle hunter's delight. :crazy:.

Sigi