CoinPeople.com

Coins by Century

Ætheling

There's been a bit of interest in this lately; well after a bit of reimaging here's what i managed to come up with. (due to limitations of pictures per reply i've had to put them over several)

10th century (English silver penny of Eadmund from c.940)

901538.jpg

11th century (English silver penny of Canute from c.1030)

899300.jpg

12th century (English silver penny of Henry II from c.1180)

899302.jpg

13th century (English silver penny of Edward I from c.1280)

899306.jpg

and for a continental flavour a French Gros of Philip IV minted around 1300

899956.jpg

17th century (British silver sixpence of Charles II from 1674) I no longer own this

6d74o.jpg6d74r.jpg

18th century (British half guinea of 1769) I no longer own this

hg69o.jpghg69r.jpg

19th century (British half guinea of 1810) I no longer own this

hg10o.jpghg10r.jpg

I don't have pictures of anything 20th century or later on hand at present.

And a millenium later, we might not even see the existance of coins :ninja:

Thanks for e-cards ;)

Heck, 2 millenium later than the coin I posted, we don't even approach that kind of artistry in almost any country's circulating coinage! Isn't mass production fun! ;)

Quite an interesting display! To me it is amazing how the designs are so very primitive until about the 16th or 17th centuries. And yet, a millennium and much, much more earlier, the world was able to create stuff like this:

700464.jpg

http://www.cngcoins.com/coin.asp?ITEM_ID=7...ITEM_ENLARGED=1

That is a nice one :ninja:

The Baktrian's may have perfected the lifelike, medal like, portrait coins. Compare that to the Taliban who ruled Afghanistan recently and it does make you question progress.

It definitly makes one question the concept of cultural property.

Ancients are works of art, in fact i'd go so far as to say works of sculpture as the relief is that high.

I remember when i first met an Athenian Owl i was impressed by the thickness of the coin, the sheer weight too.

Mass production is always an increase in speed, turn around on profits and reduction in quality. Of course they have quality control, which is mis-leading in itself, perhaps standardisation control? :ninja: (Or perhaps they keep the quality low?)

In answer to jlueke, yes all the sold ones were sold to finance my move into the 10th-12th centuries.

Although it's a little known fact i am very fond of gold coinage. Most people think i prefer silver because that's all i ever seem to post, generally though gold gets the thumbs up from me a bit more. And i used to have quite a collection of gold stuff, i must have had about 40 or 50 gold coins at one time. Ranging from the 14th century to the 20th. I have seen lots of medieval French gold coinage that i'm currently fighting the temptation to buy.

I loved the half guineas the most, they were the right size, sixpence sized! They eventually got sold though so i could expand my date run of 1674-1787 sixpences. Which due to a lack of quality control on my part ended up with grades here there and everywhere. So eventually got sold.

However i've been buying French 1/10th ecu's of Louis XVI (also sixpence sized) because, well because i just can't stop myself.

I fully intend to return to sixpences one day, but next time i'm gonna do it right! ;)

Although it's a little known fact i am very fond of gold coinage. Most people think i prefer silver because that's all i ever seem to post, generally though gold gets the thumbs up from me a bit more.

I too like gold better than silver, it is just prettier. Unless one collects Byzantine solidi ancient gold gets pricey. At least there are gold coins to dream about in most series. I pity the collector of Parthian coins. :ninja:

"I don't like mean bubbles I like laughing bubbles" - Erich (Age 3) commenting on the available smilies.

Archived