CoinPeople.com

modern foreign coins

wabnoles

Was walking thru the flea market today and came across a baggy of recent coinage for $1. The coins were very common so from a collectors standpoint was of little value. However, what I did see in there was a British post decimal pound, three Canadian quarters, a recent Thai Baht, and a recent Danish 25 ore, all coins still considered legal tender. While I will always favor historic coins, I am the type of person who whenever he goes to a 5 for a dollar or 10 for a dollar bin and see anything post decimal British, Canadian, post dollar Australian, Japanese, or Euro will get it because I do dabble a little bit in foreign currency investing and will always jump at the chance to do a free currency exchange. Anyone else here do this?

Why not, but around here, virtually every dealer worth their salt ensures that the junk boxes are truly junk boxes, though you can still get lots of fun stuff - some low value modern circulation coins from the Carribean and Oceania have suprisingly low mintages, for example.

Based on these types of postings that I've seen in the past, and the location of the poster, it seems that the southern US, particularly the SE, seems to be where world coins are most likely to be casually overlooked.

Was walking thru the flea market today and came across a baggy of recent coinage for $1. The coins were very common so from a collectors standpoint was of little value. However, what I did see in there was a British post decimal pound, three Canadian quarters, a recent Thai Baht, and a recent Danish 25 ore, all coins still considered legal tender. While I will always favor historic coins, I am the type of person who whenever he goes to a 5 for a dollar or 10 for a dollar bin and see anything post decimal British, Canadian, post dollar Australian, Japanese, or Euro will get it because I do dabble a little bit in foreign currency investing and will always jump at the chance to do a free currency exchange. Anyone else here do this?

A $ for a £ and other coins? Bargain! :bthumbsup:

I did it for decades with an eye toward using it for world travel.

I actually accumulated enough for airfare.

I was able to put together some real nice sets of XF/ AU coins as well and some of these coins list for a lot of money now. Look at the prices of 1950's German coins for instance. People think all these coins must be common because they were made in huge numbers but most haven't been saved at all.

Interesting I never travel anywhere so it did not occur to me... I do have enough saved up in Canadian money to pay for a meal. Yes my father actually managed to snag a German coin from the 1950s that turned out to be some odd illegally minted variety of deutschemark worth over $40 or so.