CoinPeople.com

Looking for Suggestions

wabnoles

Hey everyone

I have been eyeing for a while buying some dollar-szed silver coins and am looking for some suggestions. I already have the usual Peace and Morgan dollars so am really wanting to venture into foreign silver coins. Anyone have any favorites? Anyone know of places to turn to to find a listing of these larger 25 gram+ coins? Thanks.

I guess it depends on what your interests are, but I have always found the Spanish Colonial pieces to be very compelling and historically interesting. In particular, the large silver 8 Reales struck around the mid 1700s through the mid 1800s are interesting -- as they were legal tender in the USA until 1857. Some can run a bit more pricey (I have a couple in the $400-$500 range; you can find MS pieces in the $2K-$3K range), but you can also find well worn but nicely detailed examples for around $150 or so. I have an example minted in Peru in 1806 graded VF by NGC that is just a joy to look at in hand.

1806LIMA_PERU_8R_NGC_VF30_composite_zpsf

They show up for sale on Heritage in about 2-3 of their annual large auctions, and occasionally in their weekly auctions that end on Thursdays. They are also frequently available on eBay, but you have to be patient for a nice piece, and I'd stay away from the "shipwreck" examples with pitted surfaces and damage. I only own three pieces, but I found two on eBay and one on another coin forum buy/sell/trade. Do a Google search, and a little research online and you will be able to find lots more information. I am by no means an "authority" on the series, but they are some of my favorite large silver coins. I'll leave you with my images of my favorite example -- an 8 Reales minted in Lima Peru in 1793 with some lovely toning and a great amount of detail.

1793_Peru_8Reales_PCGS_AU58_composite.jp

Cheers,

-Brandon

I guess it depends on what your interests are, but I have always found the Spanish Colonial pieces to be very compelling and historically interesting. In particular, the large silver 8 Reales struck around the mid 1700s through the mid 1800s are interesting -- as they were legal tender in the USA until 1857. Some can run a bit more pricey (I have a couple in the $400-$500 range; you can find MS pieces in the $2K-$3K range), but you can also find well worn but nicely detailed examples for around $150 or so. I have an example minted in Peru in 1806 graded VF by NGC that is just a joy to look at in hand.

1806LIMA_PERU_8R_NGC_VF30_composite_zpsf

They show up for sale on Heritage in about 2-3 of their annual large auctions, and occasionally in their weekly auctions that end on Thursdays. They are also frequently available on eBay, but you have to be patient for a nice piece, and I'd stay away from the "shipwreck" examples with pitted surfaces and damage. I only own three pieces, but I found two on eBay and one on another coin forum buy/sell/trade. Do a Google search, and a little research online and you will be able to find lots more information. I am by no means an "authority" on the series, but they are some of my favorite large silver coins. I'll leave you with my images of my favorite example -- an 8 Reales minted in Lima Peru in 1793 with some lovely toning and a great amount of detail.

1793_Peru_8Reales_PCGS_AU58_composite.jp

Cheers,

-Brandon

Nice collection area Brandon. Your coins are beautiful.

Hey everyone

I have been eyeing for a while buying some dollar-szed silver coins and am looking for some suggestions. I already have the usual Peace and Morgan dollars so am really wanting to venture into foreign silver coins. Anyone have any favorites? Anyone know of places to turn to to find a listing of these larger 25 gram+ coins? Thanks.

Used to know a fellow who collected and cataloged US Trade Dollars. Because most were used outside the US, mainly in China, they have a great International flavor to them. His main thing on these was cataloging various chop marks. I'm not sure on pricing and I know there are tons of counterfeits out there.

Peru 1 Sol is another terrific coin that might fit your needs. I don't have a picture of one but here's a website with info about them.

http://coinquest.com/cgi-bin/cq/coins?main_coin=4481

Have you given any thought to British Crowns? They are pretty commonly available, and have a large range of patterns, with commemoratives and different rulers, as well as different countries

They are commonly available as long as you're talking about 1900 and after. Nice examples of the 19th century crowns (or earlier), particularly those pre-Victoria, are quite difficult to find, and very expensive. Some of the recent "Jubilee" type crowns are quite lovely though. I particularly like the 1993 issued crown with the bust of Queen Elizabeth 2 surrounded by the 8 buglers.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you specifically looking for vintage silver coins or are you interested in the modern ones as well? Personally, I love almost every commemorative coin from the Canadian mint and the New Zealand mint. My recent favorite is the coin set from the Royal Canadian Mint celebrating the Royal birth. They depict the happiness, hope and sweet memories that a baby brings to the family.