CoinPeople.com

stuff from japan

ScottO

been to japan for a couple of weeks, picked up these bits, all coins that seem to have been used as charms etc.

1019749.jpg

nice design probably used as a charm nailed to a door through the central hole. 21 wave 4 mon from 1768.

and these 2 i need identifying

1019750.jpg

1019751.jpg

this one is larger then the others.

the 2 above coins are on some string, there are a few other corroded bits (including another one of the "wave" coins, others are unidentifiable but thicker so perhaps more modern?) these 2 are the key coins, and i want to know what they are, and what the thing is.

there is also a piece of paper with some caligraphy on it but quite faded, its a long piece rather then the usual sized paper

On the top one the string is covering part of the inscription. But it appears to be inscribed as Zheng He Tong Bao (read it as: Top Bottom Right Left). This would place it between 1111-1118, of Chinese origin. If you can show the Top character better, it will verify. They can can be bought wholesale for about $3 each.

Not sure about the second one yet, but I'll update later.

edit:

should say I am referring to the first of the "unidentified" coins

(Wade-Giles given here as I'm still somewhat more familiar with it than pinyin)

Middle one is as attributed by SMS (Cheng Ho is the Wade Giles transliteration). Ref. Schjoth 636 or so.

Last one is reign title Ch'ung Ning (1102-06) and is a 10 cash issue (though most Song 10 cash reportedly circulated as 2 cash). Ref. Schjoth 621

Schjoth is a pretty dated but still quite useful standard for Chinese cash coins.