CoinPeople.com

Strange (foreign) coins in change?

Circus

Living in the Southeastern part of the Mitt, (Michigan for thoses that may not Know) All my life we have gotten in change Canadian coinage. It wasn't a problem till the exchange rates changed and it it dropped in value. Then the stores started posting signs @ the registers NO CANADIAN ACCEPTED! But if you didn't watch em close they had no problem slipping you some in your change!

In the early 70's with the influx of foreign nationals from one geographic region buying and running gas stations and party stores. They started a scam that a lot of store keepers, soon followed They would drive over to Windsor and when it was $125.00 Cd or better for $100.00USD they would get a couple of thousand in change. Bring it back and then slipp a coin or two in with EVERYBODY's change. It got real bad when one local station would give back .97¢ Canadian , when the bill was $1.03 :rolleyes:

But I have noticed that lately, in addition to the Canadian I have gotten, copper looking coins from Bermuda, Bahamas, Mexico and a shilling coin a long with others form parts unknown. They look like cents,nickles, dimes and quaters.

A quick glance when getting your change and then a dump in the pocket, I don't find out till I go thru the stash a couple of weeks later.

I am wondering if any others, have noticed an up turn in the foreign money being slide in to our monetary flow.

:clown2:

After Canadian coins - the ones I find most in roll searches are British, even though the pennies are slightly larger - I get 20p as nickels, 5p as dimes. After that I would say Panama, Bermuda and Bahamas, then E. Carribean States.

As for Canadian coins, really they are not worth a whole lot less now, like 1-2% less than American change at the moment. In the past couple of years the Canadian $ was actually worth slightly more than the dollar. In contrast like 15 years ago the Canadian $ was worth about 61c US and it was pretty consequential. I know most people in the area readily take Canadian coins, but really I could care less for accepting them - I won't take their 10 or 25 cent coins in change. If cashiers dole them out I hand them back and ask for American change.

Mostly American coins in Canada, but I don't really care (most people don't). Others are 5 Pence UK, 2 euro cent (for a penny) and an Austria 10 groschen (for a nickel). When I was in Europe I used to get a lot of British coins, old Germans and even a turkish lira coin. I don't know why people do not notice them, becuse some are very different.

The German 2 pfennig coin was very close in diameter and colour to the current 2 eurocent coin - I have gotten both as cents even recently.

Yes, I got a few of those before, but if people check the edge it doesn't have the groove of 2 the euro cent.

Back when I lived in Toledo, I had the same experience with Canadian money in change, but not the same experience with storekeepers. Pennies through quarters circulated more or less freely, and it was kind of understood that you don't try to pass off too many at one time on either side of the transaction. Even the odd Canadian dollar (this was while we were still minting Ikes) showed up, and a little paper money once in a great while. Never saw anything larger than a Canadian $5.

Oddly, twice I've gotten a Netherlands silver 10c piece -- one I found in the alley near our house, and one in a coin return slot, and both of them from the 1940s -- which is a *much* smaller coin than any American or Canadian piece.

These are strictly, from pocket change in the Detroit area of SE Mich. The biggest reason I think most are in great condition is some of the gas station and party store owners drive to Canada when the exchange rate is in the favor of more Canadian coins for the US dollar.

Most are happy to slip one coin in at a time to change.

I love that the Canadians change their coinage often. And have some real nice looking coins.

I loved the colored inserts on the quarters, the oldest one that I can find this morning are the copper penny 1930, the silver penny 1932, and the nickle 1953. I may have some older pennies as I have a cigar box half full.

Just did a quick look, and found the 1922 sitting on top of the pile waiting for me to find it!

IMG_0077.JPG

IMG_0081.JPG

Just the opposite by me. Makes me mad too. Way back when I was a kid my Dad used to give me all sorts of foriegn coins he would get in change. He had a gas station and would always take those since he knew I collected coins. Now however, I haven't found a foriegn coin of any kind in change for many, many years. Not even a Canadian one.

Well that cigar box of maple leaf backed pennies called my name all afternoon while trying to finish up the income taxes for us and my mother! Well after I finished the taxes, I just gave into the siren's call of the oldest date in the box. The oldest coins were two 1939's

IMG_0083.JPG

Then has anybody sorting a hoard found one decade shows up more than others?

IMG_0084.JPG

This is what I found in this cigar box hoard, A pretty nice haul beefore rolling em up and now the question becomes with the neighbors to the north taking the coppers out of circulation. Guess I should label and hold em for a while

IMG_0085.JPG

is the rest of the coins along with two wheaties

you have a 1967 centenary cent, with the bird.

Have lots of them from heavy patina to bright and shinny! Waiting on the world coin books to be delivered, they are last years but will work for my needs.

IMG_0086.JPG

These are what I pulled out of the two cups from the 60's, the shinny ones are put away and I will have to find them.

Have lots of them from heavy patina to bright and shinny! Waiting on the world coin books to be delivered, they are last years but will work for my needs.

IMG_0086.JPG

These are what I pulled out of the two cups from the 60's, the shinny ones are put away and I will have to find them.

I found one of those two. Is there anything special them in value?