CoinPeople.com

What Wheaties Have You Found?

Bambooski

Found in Circulation: I have found a 1937, 1939, 1942, 1944 x4, 1945, 1948, 1949, 1950 x2, 1952 , 1953 x3, 1954, 1955, 1956 x4, 1957
Have: 1943 P, D and S
What about you?

Edited by Bambooski

This morning I was looking through the change I had dumped on the bathroom vanity last night, checking for solid copper cents. I looked at a chocolate brown coin, and was pleased to see it was a 1976.

*doubletake*

No, it was 1926. And it looks to be about VF-30, which makes it worth about a buck.

Wow!!!!!!!!!! Lucky!

I am a coin roll hunter. I search anywhere from $500-1200 or so a week in cents, nickels and dimes. My primary goal with cents is finding pre-1982 copper, with nickels is to find Buffalos and 1942-5 Silver War nickels, and with dimes to find silver Roosevelts. The past couple of weeks have been slow search wise and I have a backup going because of work being busy.

I do tend to make a distinction between circulation and roll searches, as follows: circulation is what you get just going about your daily business and is pretty spontaneous; going through rolls is deliberately filtering thousands of coins for the sake of seeking the coins. When I collected state quarters from circulation (as well as buying the annual sets and attending the colorado release ceremony and buying ten rolls there) I wouldn't even let friendly cashiers who knew what I was doing pick through the quarter "bucket" in their cash drawers, it had to be completely random and by happenstance. This 1926 find was utterly astonishing to me simply because it was so staggeringly unlikely that one would turn up in change at some sort of convenience market. (Go to Hallenbeck's Coin Gallery downtown, though, and you will get coins of marginal numismatic value [not worth the trouble of working up and putting out for sale] in your change, but there obviously it's because people go out of their way to bring them in. He'd probably not have given out the 1926 cent.)

Both are indications a coin is available at face value however, so in spite of my differing mental images I suppose I'd have to reluctantly agree that a roll search--provided the roll came from a bank--are legitimate here (though I'd still like to see people say they are doing so, which Scottishmoney did).

I do tend to make a distinction between circulation and roll searches, as follows: circulation is what you get just going about your daily business and is pretty spontaneous; going through rolls is deliberately filtering thousands of coins for the sake of seeking the coins. When I collected state quarters from circulation (as well as buying the annual sets and attending the colorado release ceremony and buying ten rolls there) I wouldn't even let friendly cashiers who knew what I was doing pick through the quarter "bucket" in their cash drawers, it had to be completely random and by happenstance. This 1926 find was utterly astonishing to me simply because it was so staggeringly unlikely that one would turn up in change at some sort of convenience market. (Go to Hallenbeck's Coin Gallery downtown, though, and you will get coins of marginal numismatic value [not worth the trouble of working up and putting out for sale] in your change, but there obviously it's because people go out of their way to bring them in. He'd probably not have given out the 1926 cent.)

Both are indications a coin is available at face value however, so in spite of my differing mental images I suppose I'd have to reluctantly agree that a roll search--provided the roll came from a bank--are legitimate here (though I'd still like to see people say they are doing so, which Scottishmoney did).

I feel the same way about roll searching vs. pocket change. Same with the CoinStar machines.