CoinPeople.com

PCI2013 Clarification on Bi-metals

Art1.2

Plugged Tin Farthings - what category?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Plugged Tin Farthings - what category?

• Copper
    • Bi-metal
    • Group 9 only
    • Other metals
    • Where ever the owner feels most comfortable

The question has asked about Tin Farthings with copper plugs. Are they to be entered in the category for coppers because of the plug material, "other metals" because of the tin, "bi-metals" because of the mixed composition or Group 9 as specials?

So now you have a chance to make your feeling known. Give us a vote and some discussion if you would.

Here's an example from Omnicoin

939445.jpg

Personally, I'm torn.

I consider plugged coins/tokens such as the aforementioned tin farthings, the St. Patrick halfpennies, and also the late 1700s US silver centre cent to be a precursors to modern bimetallics - related in the sense that they contain a visibly identifiable second metal, but which were not part of the design.

The model halfpennies and pennies of the mid 1800s that showed up in England IMO was the first piece to be bimetallic, and have the bimetallism worked into the design, and IMO is the first true bimetallic, though it is technically a private issue of trial composition (like the US Feuchtwanger 1c and 3c of 1837).

But tin itself is such an unusually used non-copper/brass base that it could easily be put into a category of its own.

For such interesting conflicting reasons, I vote for the last option.

Is this coin in the bimetallic category (http://img.ma-shops....c/2ca30391p.jpg) Canada $20 1991. It's sterling silver with gold oval.

I think that NCLT is the correct category for this coin. It is produced by the Canadian Mint but never intended for actual circulation. Thus Non-Circulating Legal Tender.

I voted "Where ever the owner feels most comfortable".

- Since only that small plug is copper, and the rest not, I would definitely not place it in "copper".

- Bi-metal seems not appropriate to me either, as :

a - the plug is so small compared to the whole coin

b - the plug is not really part of the design

So, basically, I'm with Kevin