CoinPeople.com

Rarity of coins from Finland

Blackhawk

I have a coin from Finland that I can't put a price on...although it would seem that there should be some for sale that I could compare it to, apparently there are none currently on the internet, Ebay included. The coin is a 1930 10 pennia, which has the lowest mintage of the series (650,000), but is listed at a fairly low price in guides - the 1931, which has a much larger mintage is listed at a higher price, but again I can't find out much about the coins from that date either.

Are these coins that hard to find, or is it a case that there are few collectors out there and thus little demand for them?

Are these coins that hard to find, or is it a case that there are few collectors out there and thus little demand for them?

2-3 years ago I've put on ebay one consistent lot of Finland coins, 15-20 different from tsarist era and even more from 1920's to 1960's. Except one pierced 2 markkaa 186(3?) which was sold at unexpected high price and some tsarist copper pennias sold for $0.99/piece, all others remains unsold even after the second try. My opinion: there is a very low demand for these coins. Finland coins aren't the only in this situations, I think less than 10% of the non silver 20'th century coins are sought. Must be something interesting on it: art deco, elephants, zwastika, ships, to sell it. Mintage is significant for very few, because there are plenty of "key dates" for thousands types of coins.

• 2 weeks later...

I concur with bani... I have a German copper nickel deutschmark that has a book value of $50+ (and you have sellers pricing it at that or higher) but you never see anyone buying it for more than $10 if you're lucky. The old adage that it's worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it definitely holds true for copper-nickel, copper, bronze, nickel, steel, aluminum and other non-precious metal coins.