CoinPeople.com

Novodel of the 1654 Half Poltina

alexbq2

I compared to known Novodels, and I am convinced that it is identical to one of the known dies.. My feeling, and it might be just paranoia, is that the damage is there to hide signs of casting. The edge looks almost sharpened. The field texture is porous, and none of the Novodels that I have seen have those metal bumps near H, I, and N. I would like this to be a Novodel, and it could be one struck with rusty busted up dies. Or a cast. What do you think?

Yes, but cost is a big consideration. One thing is to get a fake at full price and another one is to get it at low price. Chances are consideribly higher to get a fake when getting something at low price on Ebay. Yes, miracles do happen, but not often enough. And as long as you were able to return all 4 items, you are still ahead (with more experience).

Yes, but cost is a big consideration. One thing is to get a fake at full price and another one is to get it at low price. Chances are consideribly higher to get a fake when getting something at low price on Ebay. Yes, miracles do happen, but not often enough. And as long as you were able to return all 4 items, you are still ahead (with more experience).

If I were to get a fake I would rather get it cheap! But I would much rather get the real deal cheap!!!!! :D

Seems that I can return this one, so I guess I'm ahead by experience if not by a nice coin... -_-

I could make a good argument using the sale of a $300 fake for $17,000 + commission at auction last year, but I would probably get another letter from the auction proprietor... The only good thing about ebay: 1) Normally fakes are obvious, like this "Novodel" -- just ask for better photos; 2) The coins carry smaller price tag in comparison to auctions.

However, the fakes that scare me are the ones that we cannot recognize so easily. It appears that high level forgeries have been sold by auction houses in US (and, at this point, I will say ALL auction houses) and abroad. Good examples are 1704 rubles, 1741 rubles of Ioan, Yefimoks, fake copper patterns and novodels, 1728 rubles, all sorts of commemorative coins, coins with plain edge, overstrikes (1796 em, 1791em, all 5 kop and 2 kop am's). You got a factory in Rostov producing high quality fakes. You got an outfit in Moscow that sells 1704, 1741 rubles for $150 -- 300 a pop, which were actually sold for huge amounts of $ at auction here and in europe. You got a ukrainian outfit that turns out copper pattern and novodel fakes. These things (good fakes) have been made since as early as 1980's. A fake 1712 ruble traces back to a 1991 SwissBank sale. By the way, it was graded by NGC, and later sold at 3 successive auctions culminating in a $18,000 price tag...

Sometimes it feels that it is a miracle to buy an original, no matter what you are paying for it...

I wonder if things are any better in major Russian auctions? They certainty house very knowledgeable experts who specialize in Russian coins.

I'm surprised they don't organize a slabbing service at MiM. I think that the State Historic Museum, that does perform authentication for coin collectors, is so swamped that they are charging over $100 per coin. And all you get is a paper, that is not backed up by any financial responsibility on the part of the issuer, but can be annulled at will by the said issuer!