CoinPeople.com

Siberian polushka 1771

altyn

The upper coin on the image shows the coin which I purchased at one of high profile 2011 auctions. The lower image shows a coin from http://www.m-dv.ru. The differences between my coin and the reference coin are obvious: look the shape of the crown, the cipher, the bow etc. What would you think: can these differences be explained just by die variability? Or maybe there is a reason to question authenticity of my coin? Besides the fact that it was sold by a reputable seller, it was also graded by NGC (AU55, for whatever it means).

Thanks.

Polushka 1771 KM comparison.jpg

I compared only the loop under the monogram and could not find any picture of a 1771KM polushka corresponding to your upper picture :shock:

There are quite some 1771KM polushkas shown at:

www.m-dv.ru/catalog/

all more or less like your 2nd picture.

Sigi

-

Jim Elmen has been in business for more than 30 years with an excellent reputation. I do not doubt that he would take the coin back.

By the way: I could not paste the link of www.m-dv.ru/catalog/ :confus:

How did you do this?

Thank you, Sigi

-

By the way: I could not paste the link of www.m-dv.ru/catalog/ :confus:

How did you do this?

I recall I went to that site and copied the URL from the Navigation Toolbar of my browser and then pasted it into the body of the message.

I will keep you guys updated on the further developments of this story.

I recall I went to that site and copied the URL from the Navigation Toolbar of my browser and then pasted it into the body of the message.

I will keep you guys updated on the further developments of this story.

Seen alone the coin looks nice and old, it's pretty deceptive. I would have fallen for it, too. :swoon:

As said, there should be no problem returning it.

But -- before sending it back please show us the edge of the coin, too. Sometimes a too perfect looking edge gives a fake away.

Thank you,Sigi

Seen alone the coin looks nice and old, it's pretty deceptive. I would have fallen for it, too. :swoon:

As said, there should be no problem returning it.

But -- before sending it back please show us the edge of the coin, too. Sometimes a too perfect looking edge gives a fake away.

Thank you,Sigi

Yes, when I first saw it, although I was puzzled by the unusual appearance of the crown in particular, I did like the overall look of the coin, especially the planchet texture, if you wil. For sure, it did not look like a typical fake. Yet, I was uncertain, so I sent it to NGC. When I got it back with the AU55 verdict, my worries subsided for a while, but they did not go away since we all know that NGC can make mistakes, just like any one else. Recently I posted it on a Russian forum and the opinions were unanymously negative. The question was then posed to the seller who has agreed that the coins looks unsual, certainly not like the majority of this type polushkas. Remaining true to his excellent reputation, the seller has also agreed to accept the coin back, for which I am very grateful.

So, I am sorry but I can't show the edge. I should have photographed it before sending to NGC, along with the obverse and reverse, but I did not.

• 4 months later...

never mind, found it, if it is on coins.su Real experts did not speak up for or against it... Did you show it to anyone in person?

No, I did not. I do not know anyone around here who would be knowledgeable enough to be asked. The coin had been returned to the seller.