CoinPeople.com

Fantasy or Reproduction Notes

Dave

I've seen a huge increase in the amount of fantasy notes offered online in auctions and regular seller sites. These notes are not only those issued for Antarctica, Hutt river, etc., but are notes that are seemingly created for a completely fictional place and offered for sale to collectors. While I have no interest in these notes myself, the designs on some of them are quite nice, and I can understand if someone wants to collect them.

It's the sheer volume that seems to be offered is something that perks my interest most, though. Are there really that many people out there buying these that make it worthwhile to sellers to stock these fantasy notes? If so I wonder how it will evolve - such as will there be price guides, groups for fantasy notes, etc.

As part of this, I've noticed that there are quite a lot of "Reproductions" of US notes being offered as well. While these may be a nice 'filler' until a real one can be obtained, the money asked for them is, in my opinion, a little much - even for a quality reproduction of a note.

Anyone have other thoughts on this?

I've seen many of the "standard" fantasy notes - Antarctica, etc. at shows. I'd guess the increase in offerings is a result of cheaper high quality printing capability and the worldwide influence of ebay.

I actually bought a replica note by accident on eBay, thinking it was a steal of a deal on a french note I needed. I guess greed got to me and I missed the (not so) fine print. I realized it moments after I hit the "buy" button, and the guy was decent enough about letting me back out of it. But I agree, these are quite annoying. I wish they were required to list them in a different section, under "art" or something.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...