CoinPeople.com

Newfoundland 20 Cents 1904

Andrey5

A friend has a Newfoundland 20 Cents 1904 coin with medal alignment.

http://www.omnicoin.com/coin/999270

The coin weights 4,64 g and looks original.

The Charlton catalogue (at least the 62th edition I have) claims that this coin was issued with coin alignment. At the same time, the Newfoundland 50 cent coin of Edward VII is listed as having both medal and coin alignments. Are there other Newfoundland 20 Cents 1904 coins with medal alignment known? Is there any reference in numismatic literature to such coins with medal alignment?

In as far as I know this coin does not exist, that doesnt mean it cant exist its just that I have never heard of one being reported.

The proper designation for your coin should be 1904H and its actual weight should read 4.71 grams not 4.64, looking at your pic doesnt show much wear to allow it to read 4.64g.

The only other reference to medal coins are in the Canadian section of your catalogue and you are right, the 1904H, 1907, 1908, and 1909 50cent are all listed as either rotated dies or medal dies. The 1911 thru 1919C 50cent pieces are all medal only..

In as far as I know this coin does not exist, that doesnt mean it cant exist its just that I have never heard of one being reported.

The proper designation for your coin should be 1904H and its actual weight should read 4.71 grams not 4.64, looking at your pic doesnt show much wear to allow it to read 4.64g.

The only other reference to medal coins are in the Canadian section of your catalogue and you are right, the 1904H, 1907, 1908, and 1909 50cent are all listed as either rotated dies or medal dies. The 1911 thru 1919C 50cent pieces are all medal only..

The coin I posted in the Omnicoin gallery is worn enough on obverse to explain 0,07 g deviation from the book weight.

Please have a look at another NFLD 1904H 20 Cents coin certified by ICCS, and in particular at the orientation of this coin in relation to the seal of the plastic pocket.

http://www.bay.ru/ebay/item/130617294260?&category_id=149938&category_name=twenty-cents&page=1&query=&results_view=list#link

It looks like this coin is much closer to medal than coin alignment. It is somehow difficult for me to accept that a renown Canadian third-party grading service would grade a Canadian coin that "does not exist". Maybe the Charlton catalogue missed the medal alignment of NFLD 1904H 20 Cents?

The coin I posted in the Omnicoin gallery is worn enough on obverse to explain 0,07 g deviation from the book weight.

Please have a look at another NFLD 1904H 20 Cents coin certified by ICCS, and in particular at the orientation of this coin in relation to the seal of the plastic pocket.

http://www.bay.ru/ebay/item/130617294260?&category_id=149938&category_name=twenty-cents&page=1&query=&results_view=list#link

It looks like this coin is much closer to medal than coin alignment. It is somehow difficult for me to accept that a renown Canadian third-party grading service would grade a Canadian coin that "does not exist". Maybe the Charlton catalogue missed the medal alignment of NFLD 1904H 20 Cents?

Hmmm, lets look at this again, according to Charlton the Newfie 1904H 20 cent was only issued in coinage alignment, that is the obverse was diametricly opposed to the reverse,to reiterate I have never heard of one being issued in medal alignment (Again according to Charlton, that is "Upright obverse design,upright reverse design, the upright and reverse designs are set in the matching direction")

Is it possible that the coin shown by ICCS is in fact upside down.You have to lift the flap and twist the coin to get the right alignment..

But that doesnt answer your original question about your friends coin, if you can get the coin in hand with the obverse facing you place your first finger on the top edge and your thumb on the bottom edge then rotate the coin 360 degrees if both sides are the same, you may have something..

A friend has a Newfoundland 20 Cents 1904 coin with medal alignment.

http://www.omnicoin.com/coin/999270

The coin weights 4,64 g and looks original.

The Charlton catalogue (at least the 62th edition I have) claims that this coin was issued with coin alignment. At the same time, the Newfoundland 50 cent coin of Edward VII is listed as having both medal and coin alignments. Are there other Newfoundland 20 Cents 1904 coins with medal alignment known? Is there any reference in numismatic literature to such coins with medal alignment?

I have the 2012 Volume 1, 66th edition copy of the Charlton Standard Catalogue opened beside me & it has the same reference as your 62nd edition. For this 20cent piece.

There are no new notes in this book on the alignment .

Just sayin'.

Archived