CoinPeople.com

1865 3CN in F12 PCGS

jlueke

There's a Fine 12 PCGS graded 3CN on ebay, "only 7 graded", I suppose at that grade it's true. I guess ebay has remained as goofy as ever.

• 3 weeks later...

Someone must have slipped that coin through on an economy pass.

Curiously though I did ponder buying a circulated 1889 3c coin until I finally found a raw one a couple of years ago.

usa3cent1889.jpg

Who really needs a slab for a circulated coin unless you have concerns about authenticity?

Who really needs a slab for a circulated coin unless you have concerns about authenticity?

People who can't or don't want to look for cleaning or whizzing and people who don't want to learn how to grade :)

People who can't or don't want to look for cleaning or whizzing and people who don't want to learn how to grade :)

The sad thing is that learning about such topics is what makes numismatics so interesting. Yes, you can still be a collector and only collect for all the shiney, purdys...but, personally, I enjoy the research and history myself. Some would call it lazy, but I simply see it as passive. And it's the passive collectors that "professional" grading and slabbing appeals to, IMHO.

The sad thing is that learning about such topics is what makes numismatics so interesting. Yes, you can still be a collector and only collect for all the shiney, purdys...but, personally, I enjoy the research and history myself. Some would call it lazy, but I simply see it as passive. And it's the passive collectors that "professional" grading and slabbing appeals to, IMHO.

Well someone could be interested in the history, maybe they like the physical connection to past events they research but they just don't care about the technical aspects as much and would rather someone else do that.

I tend to regard a slab as an assurance that the coin is genuine and not monkeyed with, and that the grade is probably _close_ to what the slab says, but I will look closely at the coin anyway, not because I think I might spot a fake they didn't catch, but because I want to see the strike. In other words what the grading service is doing by putting the coin in the slab is giving me a population I can search through in some confidence, looking for what I actually want. I'd certainly never buy anything sight unseen (except maybe from a dealer who knows what I am looking for, and with a return privilege). I've had dealers look at me like I was from Mars because I refused an otherwise beautiful coin (wonderful toning, good surfaces, lack of bagginess) because the strike was flat.

Maybe to some people that's uncomfortably close to buying the holder, but it seems to work for me.

Jorg, let me just say I agree with your statement, but not with people's lack of intelligence and motivation. :shock:

Archived