CoinPeople.com

French West Africa 25 francs 1933- Date not listed in Pick?

siluska

I recently bought a French West Africa note of 25 francs, model 1933 (Man with horse/lion). The shape is very bad but the main interest for me is the date.

Pick no. 22 states that the first date was 1936, but my note has a clear 1933 and the serial is much lower than the rest of the notes. The note is authentic, with a normal watermark and other caracteristics with similar notes from 1936.

I know about the existence of the catalogue of M. Kolski and R. Leclerc, Les billets africaine de la Zone franc, but i do not have this book.

A 25 f. 1933 realy exist, it's known with the date 1933? It's just an error in Pick, or it's realy a unique note?

I don't have that book, but I sure wish I had. I'm always on the lookout for it. I believe Dave M hasa copy, though. If he doesn't respond here, by tomorrow you shoudl send him a message and I'm sure he'd be happy to help.

I do have a French auction catalog for AOF and AEF notes, Les Billets Africains de la Zone Franc, and in it they have the 1933 note listed and state that "date tres rare".

I looked in my copy of SCWPM and it has 1936 as the first date as well. It must be an error (or oversight?) in Pick.

So Congrats on your new note! Care to show us a photo of this Very Rare Date?

Here's the page from my auction catalog:

2ql49jk.jpg

Hi Stefan,

As Dave shows, the 1933 date does exist, Oct 2 1933 is the first date of issue for the note with blue denomination. Leclerc-Kolsky list it at 70E (R3) in XF as opposed to 60E and 40E for the later dates. Whether that is "tres rare" or not, you can judge.

Dave

Hi Stefan,

As Dave shows, the 1933 date does exist, Oct 2 1933 is the first date of issue for the note with blue denomination. Leclerc-Kolsky list it at 70E (R3) in XF as opposed to 60E and 40E for the later dates. Whether that is "tres rare" or not, you can judge.

Dave

Thank you.

Ideed, the date is 2-10-1933, and the serial is U.20-485 (maybe it's usefull for someone).

I've imagined that is rare, is one of the few dates that i missed in my collection...For me, the most common is at least 1939 and 1942, but finding something before 1938 is hard.

@ Dave, do you have that catalogue in an .pdf?

• 3 months later...

Archived