CoinPeople.com

Collecting Ancient Coins - Advice

Mat25

Hello,

I have recently been coming across a few ancient coins on ebay and on other numismatic websites.

I would love to start collecting these coins but I have zero knowledge in this area as I am, so far, just a British coin collector.

I could do with someone to take me under their wing and be my guide to ancient coins but in the absence of that I was hoping someone could help me out with some advice and also answer the following questions.....

Where on the internet can you buy ancients at reasonable prices? Any websites or good ebay sellers?

How do you spot a fake?

Which books do I buy? I would like to start with ancient Greek silver coins (Drachms and tetradrachms), Roman sestertius (and other larger coins)

What proportion of the ancients on ebay are fake?

Are there any good online guides that won't take the next 3 decades to read?

Any help would be hugely appreciated! :confus:

That is probably a wise move however curiosity and my liking for the design of these coins has got the better of me!

I would mind a couple of US coins though, quite like the Morgans and some of the old cents.

Hello,

I have recently been coming across a few ancient coins on ebay and on other numismatic websites.

I would love to start collecting these coins but I have zero knowledge in this area as I am, so far, just a British coin collector.

I could do with someone to take me under their wing and be my guide to ancient coins but in the absence of that I was hoping someone could help me out with some advice and also answer the following questions.....

Where on the internet can you buy ancients at reasonable prices? Any websites or good ebay sellers?

Which books do I buy? I would like to start with ancient Greek silver coins (Drachms and tetradrachms), Roman sestertius (and other larger coins)

What proportion of the ancients on ebay are fake?

Are there any good online guides that won't take the next 3 decades to read?

Any help would be hugely appreciated! :confus:

I would advise you to start at coins shows with a good mix of dealers in ancients. You really need to sit and look at lots of coins before you will begin to know much about them. Just reading books is not enough. If you really want to start online, go to the ANA website and look up ancient dealers. Its a starting point.

How do you spot a fake?

It can be hard to do if you have no experience with genuine ancients.

Beware of Ebay if you don't know anything about ancients. If you don't know what you are buying, you don't know what you are learning when examining your coins.

Collecting ancient coins is a lot of fun and very satisfying, but you really need hands on experience.

Nemesis Ancient & Antiquities on VCoins and nemesiscoins Ebay has been good for me. The pictures he took of the coin I got from him were dead on. :bthumbsup: I have not bought from the vcoins site just bid on ebay, but I'm assuming he's the same there. He has no negatives.

Archived