CoinPeople.com

2011 American Eagle 25th Anniversary Silver Coin Set

KoRnholio

I did a quick search and, very much to my surprise, saw no thread on this already!

The set went on sale today at noon ET, and sold out in less than 5 hours. Mintage was limited to 100,000 and the max order was 5 per household. The mint's site was ridiculously slow during the 5 hour blitzkrieg of orders, but I managed to get my order for 5 sets in.

Before today, a number of dealers were offering people $65 above the issue cost ($299.99) for unopened boxes of these sets. Ebay pre-sellers were selling them in the $400-500 range mostly. After they sold out, Apmex put up a buy price of $425 for the sets!

Definitely some coin mania going on here. I suspect it will only get crazier in the short term as people rush to get the coins graded mythical MS/PF-70 grades at PCGS and NGC.

US Mint page: http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=16626&langId=-1

I think I ordered 2 sets at a little before 3:00, so hopefully I got them!

You should have gotten an email confirmation with your order number.

I too am surprised there wasn't more fuss about them here. At the PCGS forums it seemed every 2nd thread was 25th anniversary set related. I wasn't even going to consider buying any until I saw how much hype they had behind them.. And ebay pre-sales already starting at profitable levels above the issue price.

I plan on flipping at least 4 of my 5 sets. I'll let someone else play the grading/crackout game with them. I've read that for top dollar you should keep them in the original shipping box, unopened. That just seems so wrong to me. But if some "numismatist" will pay more to gamble on a sealed box grading MS-70 vs an opened box, I'll just keep all 5 of mine in the original packaging to sell that way. Then I'll buy something I really want :)

All three of the collectors I know at work were hounding me about the set. The "you'll make money right away!" "collector", the pocket change collector, and the working on small series collector.

The US mint uses "backorder" differently than the common usage. Normally backorder means that the place you've ordered something from is waiting for their supplier to get it to them first.

In the US mint case, they produce and ship their own goods, so backorder just means "not ready to ship yet". Nothing to be worried about.

Last I checked my scheduled ship date was Nov 17th.

PS, From what I've read, if you got your order in before 4:30pm ET you should be good to go. Orders after that approximate time were placed on a "waiting list" which would start to be filled as the mint sorts out previous orders. Orders can get cancelled for going over the household limit, credit card being declined, etc.

If your order is showing a shipping date and not "waiting list" you'll be getting your set(s), as long as your credit card doesn't get declined between now and the shipping date when it's actually charged for the purchase.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice :) I heard reports that the packing wasn't very good, that there were many coins in capsules popped out of their slots. Some capsules even came open in transit, allowing for damage to the coin itself. No issues like that for you though?

I just got my letter from the mint verifying my address since I was a new first time international customer placing a $1500 order. Got verified and they should processing my order soon. Currently it's on hold, items reserved.

Still undecided if I should just sell all 5 in the unopened box on Ebay, or open them up, keep one set (perhaps for a later resell) and sell the rest.

I saw a set opened by a buyer at an Arizona coin store last week. All the capsules had popped out of their slots, but they were not damaged. The set looked great when they were popped back in.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, here are the individual coins:

2011-W burnished coin (these were also sold individually):

998007.jpg

2011-P Proof Silver Eagle (these were also sold individually, but have since sold out):

998008.jpg

2011-P Reverse Proof (these were only available in this set, mintage of just 100,000 coins):

998009.jpg

2011 Silver Eagle (these were minted in San Francisco, but contain no mintmark, the only way to have them designated as S-mint coins by the third party grading services is to submit the entire set still in the packing box from the mint, so this one no longer qualifies, but you and I both know it's from San Fran!):

998010.jpg

And last is the 2011-S burnished coin (this one was only available in the set, so mintage of just 100,000 coins):

998011.jpg

I have a friend that got his and said it came in a nice polished cherry case. Interesting that yours didn't. I tend to trust you more than him...

Mine came in a wonderful laquered case (see the photo in the post above the coin photos), not sure if the wood is cherry or something else, but it's probably the most beautiful case I've seen for a multi-coin set and it puts the old cherry wood cases for the 6-coin commemorative sets to shame! It's different than the laquered cases for the first spouse coins that have the nice wood grain, but I think it's very appropriate for this set (and boy is it heavy!).

Lucky dog! I am still haven't opened my box of 5. Still not sure if I'll sell them all as an unsealed box, send for grading, or open and keep 1/sell 4 sets.

I am definitely holding off on selling for now. The market is absolutely flooded with people who need the cash to pay off credit cards. I think we'll see a nice rise in the price of these sets over the next 4-6 months. Prices are so low right now I am tempted to buy another set for myself so I can keep my box of 5 sealed.

Nope, the case is blue, it is wood, but it is laquered, so that it looks like its blue plastic, but it is not. A very interesting case to say the least, but given the weight it's definitely a good hunk of hardwood. The inside of the case that holds the coins is plastic I think, but that is removable. There is a piece of velvet that covers the tops of the coins in that tray which fits inside the case. Then the case itself goes inside a cardboard box which fits inside another cardboard sleeve. It's not easy to explain!

• 2 months later...

Archived