CoinPeople.com

Silver 1 Zolotnik ingot; circa 1901-looking for mintage numbers

booka

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum, but have been collecting Imperial Russian coins for quite some time.

I have a few Zolotnik ingots (affinage rounds) and lately I've been trying to find some information regarding the mintages for each type, years minted, etc. Can anyone recommend a book or a site that has this info? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Booka

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum, but have been collecting Imperial Russian coins for quite some time.

I have a few Zolotnik ingots (affinage rounds) and lately I've been trying to find some information regarding the mintages for each type, years minted, etc. Can anyone recommend a book or a site that has this info? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Booka

No mintage information available today. Ingots listed in Severin, Uzdenikov and Bitkin catalogs.

Rarenum

Are not these ingots the leftovers given by the mint back to the suppliers?

I am not sure how they were minted, but would not they be produced on as needed basis?

As such, I do not see a reason for keeping mintage information.

Yes, that is how the mint returned silver extracted from rough gold bars to the suppliers. Ingots came several sizes: 10 Zolotniks, 6, 3, 1 Zolotnik and 24 Dolya. Severin incorrectly identified them as trade coins for China and Mongolia. Uzdenikov and Krause just have the basic info like weight and silver content. I was hoping for a more detailed information, may be the mint did keep a record somewhere.

If genuine and in decent condition, I'd be interested in 6 (hadn't heard of those!), 3 and 1/4 zolotniks.

Steve, I got carried away about 6 Zolotniks piece, sorry. Besides one reference that 2 and 6 Zolotniks were probably struck by the mint, there is no evidence that 2 and 6 Zolotniks rounds actually exist. Wishful thinking I guess. The only known rounds are 10, 3, 1 and 1/4 (24 Dolya) Zolotnik with 2 types of assayer's initials for each denomination. I wouldn't sell Zolotniks I have in my collection, but I'll be happy to share the photos.

Are not these ingots the leftovers given by the mint back to the suppliers?

I am not sure how they were minted, but would not they be produced on as needed basis?

As such, I do not see a reason for keeping mintage information.

It is correct that the zolotnik pieces were the method by which the silver in

gold deposits was returned to the depositors. However, it would not have

been the same silver as the Mint would have kept a stock of such pieces on

hand. There is no doubt that the medal department records, if they still exist,

would report the number of such pieces made.

Archived