CoinPeople.com

5kop1770EM - old eagle (rare)

sigistenz

In a recent post doubt arose about my 5kop1770EMoldeagle - is it really the RARE old eagle?

It is - see my coin (finally received) compared to the Diakov picture. Note that the dies are the same.

The monogram side speaks for itself, the eagle sides show the same slightly biased top crown.

The coin is rarer than one might think from Bitkin's R1 quoting. Hit the Russian link for auction prices realized.

See the low grades of the coins auctioned and their prices.

My specimen has a slightly battered edge all around, but otherwise is pretty nice :yes: Sigi

Russian link: http://www.m-dv.ru/catalog/id,4262/prohod.html

5kop1770emoldeagle.jpg

above my coin - below Diakov coin

5kop1770diakov.jpg

Diakov entry with explantory text

diakovtext.jpg

In a recent post doubt arose about my 5kop1770EMoldeagle - is it really the RARE old eagle?

It is - see my coin (finally received) compared to the Diakov picture. Note that the dies are the same.

Congratulations, Sigi! :bthumbsup:

The monogram side speaks for itself, the eagle sides show the same slightly biased top crown.

Not only that, but there is a very prominent die crack at 11 - 12 o'clock on the obverse (monogram) side which appears to be exactly the same in your coin and in the catalog specimen.

The coin is rarer than one might think from Bitkin's R1 quoting. Hit the Russian link for auction prices realized.

My specimen has a gently battered edge all around, but otherwise is quite nice. :yes: Sigi

Thanks for sharing your good luck (and expertise) with us, Sigi! :art:

My specimen has a slightly battered edge all around, but otherwise is pretty nice :yes: Sigi

Russian link: http://www.m-dv.ru/c...262/prohod.html

5kop1770emoldeagle.jpg

Diakov entry with explantory text

diakovtext.jpg

Very nice coin with match die break on the crown. Congratulations, Sigi!

Images Diakov 253 from coin in my collection.

Rarenum

Very nice coin with match die break on the crown. Congratulations, Sigi!

Images Diakov 253 from coin in my collection.

Rarenum

That is very interesting, Rarenum !! Thank you for telling. Are there other rare 5 kopek coins of yours in Diakov? :blink: Sigi

That is very interesting, Rarenum !! Thank you for telling. Are there other rare 5 kopek coins of yours in Diakov? :blink: Sigi

I have other rare 5 kopecks 1763-1796, but I don't remember if any other 5 kopecks from Diakov book in my collection

Archived