CoinPeople.com

Hello from Wiltshire, England

Hi

I'm an 'accidental' coin collector! Given lots of coins by my Granny when I was young (mostly rubbish). A few Egyptian ones Grandad brought back after the war. My OH found a Jetton and a trade token digging the garden. Love history. Lots of things I'm curious to know about, so will be posting a few photos when I learn how. Lots of interesting posts on here, so thought I'd join. :)

OOh.. those are really little. Is there any way of attaching bigger files?

I've just discovered the gallery and started an album. Can I link to an image in my album in the message body?

I'll put the Jetton in my album later. Off to work.

JAnnW -- I don't know whether you can link directly from your album, but try it! The jeton looks very interesting. I upload my pix to photobucket and link to the URL for each image there.

Welcome!

Here's some IDs for you:

1894: South African sixpence

1855: French 5 centimes

Unknown: Yes, it's a penny. The bronze pennies of the 1820s-50s are larger than the ones of 1860-1967

1788: No, not a penny. It's a gaming counter, and holes are not too unusual

Egypt: 1944 2 piastres

ccg

Thankyou so much for those IDs. :D

I'm suspicious about holes! I have quite a few coins with holes in the same place. I think it was something to do with my Grandad and hanging them on keyrings..

Will be posting a lot more photos and and putting upon you clever people for help.

Thanks again

This one is another Jeton, probably made in Germany - hence "rechen pfennig"

This one depending on size is a Penny (32mm) or Half penny (28mm) of George IV from 1825 to 1827.

20 Kopeks, Russia

2 Piastres, Egypt, British occupation issue

Egypt, 5/10 Qirsh, AH1293 (1876) The actual year of issue would have been on the other side but it's too far gone to tell.

Egypt, 10 Milliemes

Thankyou :grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

I wish I knew where all these had come from. My Granny gave most of them to me, but apart from the Egyptian ones my Grandad bought back after the war, I have no idea where they came from. Diverse collection, pity they aren't in better nick. More to come.

Many thanks.

Welcome. Remember that value comes in several forms. One is the monetary value. The coins you now have may not represent much in monetary value (even if some might). But, the ones carried by your grandfather in the war are priceless. My mother-in-law gave me her husband's coins that he carried back from World War II. Her kids got the coins of value. None of the World War II coins are worth much. My wife, however, finds them priceless and has them displayed with his combat medals and purple heart. Her father collected them, she treasures them. They tell a story that far exceeds any monetary value that they might have. The other coins were his collection and carry monetary value, but no connection to his life story except that he saved old coins. Nothing special, a typical collection of a typical collector. His souvenirs that he carried across Europe on the battle field, priceless.

Hi Bill

Was thinking of displaying Egyptian coins along with my Grandad's photos of Egypt and other things he bought home.

I'm more interested in history than coins, so not really bothered about value. I would like to identify them all so I can find out more. Got very interested in the history attached to the Edward I jetton, hadn't realised that mathematics was so modern. Think I'd have been happier using jettons to help me reckon!

Archived