CoinPeople.com

4K 1762 drummms

kopeikin

some pay high prices even more than at public auctions :hysterical:

It was one with lettered edge...

Ekaretinburg or Moscow?

I don't know. The seller could not read it, but I don't believe (or rather don't want to believe) that it was Moscow... But if it was one, ohh... :doh:

Probably the bayer will tell us, what it was...

OK, and BTW, welcome to coinpeople :)

I don't know. The seller could not read it, but I don't believe (or rather don't want to believe) that it was Moscow... But if it was one, ohh... :doh:

Probably the bayer will tell us, what it was...

Thanks for the update, I was wandering why this auction was so exciting! :art:

Please let us know how it pans out.

This one seems to be variant 4 in Bitkin, with 3 possible edges:

Bitkin 24, edge 0, (smooth) R3

Bitkin 25, edge 4, Ekaterinberg, R1

Bitkin 26, edge 4*, Moscow, R3

No other variants of the 1762 4 kopeck are listed as R or better. This might explain the high price.

so by probablility, the topic coin most likely is Bitkin 25, but there is always a chance it is 26. Only the buyer will know for sure.

too bad the coin is cleaned. but i wouldnt kick it out of my trays!

First of all, it is not a plain edge. You can see remnants of the letters.

Additional options:

A. Variant #4 also comes with edge #5. Bitkin 27.

B. Could be that it USED TO BE a lettered edge and was re-edged with #5. Also, I have variant #2 with partially lettered edge. I would never go by Bitkin to GUESS the edge. A photo of the edge is a must...

C. This is not necessarily variant #4. It can be called #5 just as well. I also have one that is kind of in between. It looks more like the ebay coin than #4 or #5 in bitkin. It has edge #5.

Even a small trace of the net edge will prevent from identifying this coin as Bitkin #25 or 26.

I hope the winning bidder asked for photos of the edge before bidding over 800 euro. IMXO -- even if the edge is lettered, but you cannot read it, the coin is not worth as much as it went for.

First of all, it is not a plain edge. You can see remnants of the letters.

Additional options:

A. Variant #4 also comes with edge #5. Bitkin 27.

B. Could be that it USED TO BE a lettered edge and was re-edged with #5. Also, I have variant #2 with partially lettered edge. I would never go by Bitkin to GUESS the edge. A photo of the edge is a must...

C. This is not necessarily variant #4. It can be called #5 just as well. I also have one that is kind of in between. It looks more like the ebay coin than #4 or #5 in bitkin. It has edge #5.

Even a small trace of the net edge will prevent from identifying this coin as Bitkin #25 or 26.

I hope the winning bidder asked for photos of the edge before bidding over 800 euro. IMXO -- even if the edge is lettered, but you cannot read it, the coin is not worth as much as it went for.

agreed on all counts. My assumption is that there is a lettered edge, based on the comment that the seller could not read the edge. again assuming there were letters to be read, but the seller was not versed in cyrillic, and not that they were illegible, re-edged, or non existent. lots of assumptions! but without a photo of the edge, thats all we can talk about. :bwink:

and this one.

;) This part I recall.

Where did the original information come from? Did somebody just guess that it was a lettered edge and ask the seller? Did multiple people make that guess (multiple bidders drove the price up)? Was it announced somewhere?

I'd like to hear the whole story.

Archived